Why become a member? ×

Refinish job on a unbranded P bass

Jimothey

On 06/12/2018 at 07:32, Christine said:

What lies beneath our painted basses?

Give it a few thick coats of thinned (white spirit)  Linseed oil over a few days. Let it dry for a good week, then do the same with thinned boiled Linseed oil before topping with Danish oil, tat will make the wood really come out

Would this also work for other woods? I've got a gorgeous bit of 5A flame maple right behind me and this awesome bit of advice has got me thinking. :)

On 02/04/2019 at 01:39, Jimothey said:

Well here's it finished........ I should have done this in the first place....... 😀 

_20190402_013530.thumb.JPG.c7e2632c71989a05a4f259d7202ff144.JPG

I like that. I generally do natural or stained woods - but there are some designs and combinations that simply have to be solid colours...and this is one of them.  Very attractive.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Andyjr1515 said:

I like that. I generally do natural or stained woods - but there are some designs and combinations that simply have to be solid colours...and this is one of them.  Very attractive.

Thanks I think it's quite classic looking and understated and I didn't have a problem spraying this one *picking myself up off the floor after fainting*

I am trying to get away from painted and do natural or stained woods because I have a bit of a mare most times when it comes to painting bodies!! I'm having to flatten the paint again on the fenderbird because 3 days after the paint had dried its decided to react and crackle!! 🤬

But at work we are going to build a dedicated spray booth to spray doors, furniture etc so that might make my life a bit easier?? 

Edited by Jimothey

48 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

Thanks buddy, didn’t want to derail your thread!!!

you can go a little more subtle too - this one had judicious blow torching

Here they are side by side finished articles For a quick ref.

6B505ECF-EDD5-4BB7-A7B8-289BBBC285A1.thumb.jpeg.ba9d54141b969c154e9cc8e103094323.jpeg

@Jimothey yours looks pucker 💪🏾👍🏾

Thanks mate I really like the look of the Jazz I might have to try it on another build 👍👍

• Like 1

You can, of course, always colour stain the natural wood so maybe get the best of both worlds.

I rarely use solid paints but quite often stain.  I personally tend to use inks (although you have to be a bit choosy on which colours as some will fade) and you can achieve quite bright colours even on dark woods.

This is more the normal stuff I do:

Red calligraphy ink

IMG_5068.thumb.JPG.35f23980acc645a5a60e5fc926f18e7f.JPG

Mixture of blues and turquoise fountain pen inks:

_MG_4154.thumb.JPG.000da69d2fac3898d7623299995bbc2f.JPG

And then there's the cor blimey @TheGreek 's Alembicesque save.  Again, pen ink

IMG_8115.thumb.JPG.166e6dddea52e13cbd63268150b0bc54.JPG

The inks soak into the grain lines more and so naturally darken to enhance the grain pattern.

• Like 1