Left leaderboard
Kieran30803

Ashdown ABM 1200 smoking

Hey guys, so a few weeks back I ordered an ashdown abm 1200 from reverb and used it on a couple of gigs and I didn’t have any problems. I was at a gig tonight and the amp started smoking and crackling, then I saw some sparks and a small fire that put itself out through the vents. It looked like the fire came from the inductor coil. It also won’t turn on anymore, now that I got it home. Luckily I had a Darkglass DI box that I ran through with in ears for the rest of the night. Anyone else have this problem with any ashdown amps/this one in particular? Also, I know that this is a UK based website, but I’m in New York, so if anyone could point me in the direction of an authorized ashdown repair shop that’d be wonderful. Thank you for reading.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Kieran30803

Hi Kieran,

Sorry to hear this, unusual for sure. If you can email me your details and serial number of the amp I can do some investigative work and we can get you hooked up with our USA guys who will take care of you. My email is [email protected] 

I am assuming the amp was used when you bought it rather than new form a store?

Edited by Ashdown Engineering
  • Like 3

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By big rob
      I must say the best 4x10 i have ever owned, also has a great tweeter.
      Now down to £300 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      Grab a bargain.
      Also comes with the padded TC cover.
      TC Blurb:
      Stackable 600 Watt bass cabinet with tweeter offers extreme portability and superior tone for stage and studio use ? Vertically stackable with other RS range cabinets for uncompromising full-frequency sound Compact and lightweight bass cabinet design 4 x 10" custom Eminence* drivers for deep fundamental bass tone 1" titanium diaphragm tweeter with 1.5" aluminum coil for increased percussive attack and definition Dual speaker link connections on premium Neutrik speakON* connectors (8 Ohm impedance) L-pad control lets you adjust to get the perfect amount of high-end detail Stylish ?anti-skid? covered plywood cabinet designed for toughest life on the road Designed and engineered in Denmark  

• By Paul C
      Ashdown ABM 500 Combo for sale. 4x10. Good condition for age. Perfect working order. Can be tried out at rehearsal room in central Manchester. 10 minutes walk from Piccadilly train station. Would require collection via car due to weight. 

• By King Tut
      I picked up an Ashdown MAG600 from here earlier in the week and was keen to try it out last night. I think the model is an EVOIII although it's not labelled as such, it just has the 15th anniversary logo on the front and all the facilities found on the later MAG's. It's well equipped with the usual Ashdown VU meter and passive and active inputs. It has a five band EQ entered around very useful frequencies and deep and bright switches. The EQ can be switched in and out from the front panel. It has a one knob compressor and an octave down facility and overdrive, again switchable from the front panel. The distortion can also be operated with a foot switch. The Octaver is a bit of a waste of space - sure it works well and sounds good but without being able to foot switch it in and out you could only really use it for a whole song.
      On the back it's just got an IEC mains in and switch, two big fans and usefully, a pair of Speakon/Jack combo sockets - so all round, a pretty well equipped amp.
      I played with Stray, a fairly loud but not stupid loud, Classic Rock five piece at Leo's in Gravesend. It's a nice rock venue with a medium stage and a good sound engineer and PA. I was running the amp through an Eden Nemesis 4 x 10 which is an 8 ohm cab rated at 500W. I've used the cab with other heads and it's never been lacking volume, but of late, I've been running a 2 x 12 stack to get the sound closer to my ears (which are protected with ear plugs).
      Tonally, I bloody love the thing. The EQ, as mentioned is really useful and the tone is solid and clear but warm with a hint of grit when pushed. I played the first set with a Jazz Bass and the second with a Ric 4003 - two different beasts and the Ashdown really brought out that difference. In isolation I was over the moon with the tone. I had the deep switch in and each EQ knob pushed a bit past noon with a bit more top and high mid than the rest. Once we'd kicked off sound checking though, I had to really crank the master volume and by the end of the night it ended up around at around 3 o'clock. Bear in mind that with my Class D heads (A GK MB500 and a Bugera Veyron 1001T) I seldom get the master volumes past 11 o'clock - so this surprised me a bit. Having said that - the tone did not break up at all - it was sweet.
      I think - having not used the 4x10 for a while, the perceived lack of volume may have been down to all the sound coming past my knees. I know I was pretty loud cos the Jazz fed back a couple of times. I'm also going to experiment with not having the deep switch in, so I can drive the front end a bit more.
      To summarise - the amp is well equipped and easy to dial in great tone, but the verdict is out on for the time being on volume. I'd be interested in the collective opinion on my observations.

• By Mickyk
      Hi guys,As a follow on really from my last post about trying to get that old school vintage sound,i have decided that i don't need another bass,i just put some  Adagio Flatwound Strings on my Yamaha BB424x and i have followed members advice on here.However i,m not quite there yet so i feel that a new Amp may compliment that for me illusive vintage sound i'm after.
      So with that in mind i have been looking at the Ashdown MAG Series of Combo amps which i intend to use doing small gigs.I must say i like the look of them with the British Racing Green Front Panel,and the prices seem competitive from my local PMT in Nottingham.
      Anyway my question is bearing in mind what i'm trying to achieve,which one should i go for.There are 3 , Starting out with a single 10 inch speaker,and one with 2 ten inch speakers and lastly one with a Single 15 inch speaker.
      So come on help me decide will ya.cheers.
      Here's a link....https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/products/bass/bassamplifiers/basscombo?manufacturer=922

• By big rob
      Hi All,
      I have my lovely Mesa Boogie 400+ up for sale, as you will see from the photo it comes in the Mesa Boogie flight case which will look much better soon as i currently in the middle of refurbishing it.
      I was told by the original owner that the Valves had all been replaced with matched pairs and this was done around 2 years ago and since has had very little playing.
      I use it at home manly and it is a dream of a head. 
      I also have a the matching road ready cabs 4x10's and 1x15's so could do a deal on the lot if interested.