Why become a member? ×

Dilemma!

byrne182

Going to pull the trigger on a new animal at somepoint soon and am facing a choice.... its going to be a Precision bass but -

Do I go for - Fender P

or

Shuker JJB Signature

Anyone compared them? Any thoughts? Recommendations?

Well I`m not saying this just because I`m selling a black/maple US Precision, but the 2012 - 16 Series US Precisions are the best I`ve owned, and aside from the Custom Shop Pino Palladino Precision, the best I`ve played. The neck is nice and chunky without being overbearing, graphite rods in the neck, Custom Shop pickups which sound superb. I`m only selling the one that is up as I think having 5 of them is a tad excessive. I`ve not played the Shuker JJB, can`t even think that it would be less than a great bass but to me if wanting a Precision, US Standard 2012 - 16 Series gets my recommendation.

For me part of the charm of a P-bass is their simplicity & vintage styling (one pick-up, two knobs, classic shape), one of the reasons people go to the more bespoke builders is because they want more than that (active circuitry, fancy woods, lightweight machinery etc...) so going to a bespoke builder for something classic would miss the benefits of both for me. Whilst Shuker undoubtedly make great basses, if you want a classic P then I think Fender would be the better option. 

How much is the Shuker? About 2k? You'd be looking at a used custom shop or a new USA (vintage style or not) Fender for that - both would be really nice basses. 

Now if I were going for a super-jazz type bass I think the argument would go the other way...

5 minutes ago, Lw. said:

How much is the Shuker? About 2k?

A regular Shuker P starts at £1700, and the JJB Sig starts at £2100.
It's a lot for a P Bass for sure, but if your budget is in that area, I don't think you can go wrong for that style of bass.