Why become a member? ×

Neck plate and screws - alternative

fleabag

Not sure what the technical term is for attaching a neck using sunken threaded inserts into the body, then using flanged bolts to clamp the neck down.

Anyone know what the search words are ?    Does the sunken insert also need a flange , bit like a top hat i would imagine ?

How does one know which size to buy ..

Edited by fleabag

Have a peep at my build for @Eude if that's the sort of things you're looking at.  The screws are called either machine screws or set screws and I think the threaded inserts are called just that.  I use m4 size for neck fixing.

If I get a moment, I'll pop a link to the supplier I use.

If these are the sort of things you are looking at @fleabag  - or similar concept - :

_MG_7059.thumb.JPG.be6a166ed467bda357f01ae24f4c92b3.JPG

I got the M4 machine screws from GWR Fasteners who trade on ebay here:

http://www.ebaystores.co.uk/GWR-Fasteners?_rdc=1

The threaded inserts were also from ebay (can't find the specific supplier I used).  The only thing to look for is that they are hex-key inserted (the slot head insert ones are a disaster) and that the fins are nice and thin like these which cut through and secure neatly and securely.  

• Like 1

Just now, Andyjr1515 said:

The sellers ebay shop for the above specific ones is:

http://www.ebaystores.co.uk/Falcon-Workshop-Supplies

and they are in the 'furniture fixings' section

Thanks for that effort Andy.  I checked your Eude build, and it appeared that someone called Kay Fasteners was mentioned. Have no idea who they are or whether you actually used them, but no matter now, as you have sent some good news in PM  :)

2 hours ago, BreadBin said:

Have you done any load calculations @Andyjr1515?

M4 seems a little on the small size to me. But I am happy to be proved wrong! 

Yes - it's much higher than the standard fixing screws.  The i.d. of the standard fixing screw is 3mm and is usually - I think - mild steel, the i.d. of a stainless m4 machine screw is 3.24mm and is, of course, stainless giving 16% greater area over a much stronger steel.  The o.d. of the inserts is 9mm, against the standard fixing screws at around 4mm.

Wal are the only commercial basses I've personally worked on that fit machine screws and I'm pretty certain they are m4 too. 

The thing that staggered me was once seeing the tubular fuselage of an Auster light aeroplane.  Welded on were 4 small brackets with the holes for the 4 machine screws holding the engine on.  Now, admittedly, that will have been aircraft grade stainless, but they were tiny.  I reckon 6mm tops - maybe even 5mm.

Edited by Andyjr1515
  • Like 3

On 22/11/2018 at 12:22, Andyjr1515 said:

...only thing to look for is that they are hex-key inserted (the slot head insert ones are a disaster)... 

Actually there is no slot head in the insert. The slot goes in first and it partially cuts its way to wood. Just put a bolt and a nut to the insert and it is easy to fix it, if you can keep it straight.

I have put inserts to one Status neck and they work really well. Have been thinking in making the bass a travel one: the neck is super easy to detach and as it is graphite, it keeps its shape and stays in tune.

• Like 1