Why become a member? ×

How to cut pickguard material

Bassmonkey

Hiya, I bought a 70s Jap SG copy in need of lots of TLC as a "project". So far has sat untouched and waiting for me to start sorting it. Anyway, I bought a blank sheet of lovely Pickguard perspex to make the pickguard and backplate.

Has anyone ever tried to cut and shape these? what is the best method?

Any advice would be welcome. Am still confused as to why I thought I would have the expertise to do this, I sit behind a PC for a living for god's sake!

Cheers
A

[quote name='Bassmonkey' post='341991' date='Dec 1 2008, 04:53 PM']Hiya, I bought a 70s Jap SG copy in need of lots of TLC as a "project". So far has sat untouched and waiting for me to start sorting it. Anyway, I bought a blank sheet of lovely Pickguard perspex to make the pickguard and backplate.

Has anyone ever tried to cut and shape these? what is the best method?

Any advice would be welcome. Am still confused as to why I thought I would have the expertise to do this, I sit behind a PC for a living for god's sake!

Cheers
A[/quote]

Router time! Mind you don't melt the guard!

The best way to do it is probably to find a company that has a water jet cutting machine. If you can get the outline you want as an EPS, DXF or DWG file and can supply them with the plastic material, it should be straight forward enough for them. Industrial design or architecture departments at university sometimes have one too depending on how well resourced they are.

Yep I've done a few now....

Dremel and cut off discs by these folks....

[url="http://www.permagrit.com/"]http://www.permagrit.com/[/url]

Then when nearly to shape a Dremel flap wheel.... then diamond files, then wet and dry paper and finally polish.

Drill holes and countersink with a permagrit countor tool.....

All you need is some manual dexterity, skill and plenty of time....

Perspex can be very brittle and susceptible to cracking, it's the worst kind of material to use. It takes ages to polish and any scratches that you put on the underside will show and putting a 45 degree bevel arond the edge is a nightmare.
I've got an old Jazz scratch plate you can have to practice cutting and shaping on