Why become a member? ×

G & L SB-2

solo4652

Hi,

I have a G&L SB-2 bass in my sights. Decsribed as "the cheap version of the Tribute L200". Apparently the SB-2 has a J-profile neck. I've looked at the Harmony Central reviews which seem pretty positive.

Any body got one? All comments on the tone and playability most welcome.

Thanks,

Steve

83 and 88 US G&L versions. You're right, the 88 has the no 8 neck as standard - 12 radius, 1 1/2 at the nut. The standard neck on the L2000 is the no 7 - 12 radius, 1 3/4 at the nut. I've not tried a Tribute version, but if it's anything like the Tribute L2000, then it'll be as good as a late 90s-to date US version. It's passive though, and doesn't have a tone control - the pots are both volume, one for each pickup.

The SB-2 (PJ config, small P body, J neck)) is available as a G&L made in California or as a Tribute made in the Far East. Both are very different from the L2000 (HH config, large P body, P neck) in either its US or Far East versions. Either way G&L make great basses that have very high build quality and the Tributes are revered as one of the best "offshore" budget brands out there.

Originally - 82 to 87 - it was J/J, with a Strat style pickup selector switch and volume and tone pots. 87 onwards it became the P/J configuration, with two volume pots and no tone. I've just given my 88 a thrash - solo the P pickup and I'd describe it as a hot 70s P'bass sound - solo the J pickup and the sound is very thin, although rolling in a little of the P you can get a nice sound. Both pickups on full is the best combination to my ear - a whole mid-range opens up that isn't there on either pickup alone, and the sound is surprisingly full for a P/J. My 88 is a nice lump of ash though, with a maple touchboard. Not sure what the Tribute is - alder or basswood? - but I know it only comes with a rosewood board.

I've got a G&L Tribute SB2 and love it. Really solid sounding bass that can sit well in a bandmix. Took me a while to find the right strings as the pickups are very hot and it can sound a bit trebly. Once I got used to it however and put nickelwound strings on, I was really glad I got it. Unfortunately, I've developed Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and for some strange reason my other basses seem easier to play now so I tend to leave it at home when gigging.

It came from the states and I think someone had a custom scratchplate made so as it looked like a stingray, I took it off and filled the holes with black filler its the same as the G&L Lynx in all but name, the later SB 2 is an L100 with an added jazz pup , close to the sb1 which id a p bass with a great leo pickup, thats way better than a p bass.

Just looking at that, its one hot bass, I stand corrected the now ,sb2 is a sb1 with the added pup, as yours has the hot p bass pup and the slightly sexier curves than the lb 100, thats a sweetie too, I have an emerald blue ( americans eh ) climax, love the colour.

[quote name='JohnSlade07' post='342145' date='Dec 1 2008, 05:46 PM']I've got a G&L Tribute SB2 and love it. Really solid sounding bass that can sit well in a bandmix. Took me a while to find the right strings as the pickups are very hot and it can sound a bit trebly. Once I got used to it however and put nickelwound strings on, I was really glad I got it. Unfortunately, I've developed Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and for some strange reason my other basses seem easier to play now so I tend to leave it at home when gigging.[/quote]

Oh dear - I'm sorry to hear about your CTS difficulties. At least it hasn't stopped you playing everything. If you're not playing your SB2 and you want to sell it or trade it, please drop me a PM.

Regards,

Steve