Why become a member? ×

BOSS RV-3

GazWills

OK, so I finally picked one of these up today, after quite fancying one for a while.

What.

A.

Pedal!

I'm rather smitten, it's fantastic!! Everything I wanted my dispatch master to be...

Anybody else still using one of these? I've not seen too many on the pedalboard thread! For my setup, and what I play, it's the delay / reverb pedal I've been wanting for so so many years! 

Does the RV3 have a gated setting? I'm looking for something with gate and reverse, neither of which seem that popular these days - shimmer seems to have taken over the novelty slot. I had an RV6 but didn't like the basic sound that much. I'm currently on the lookout for a Hardwire, but maybe one of the older RV series is a solution.

9 hours ago, radiophonic said:

Does the RV3 have a gated setting? I'm looking for something with gate and reverse, neither of which seem that popular these days - shimmer seems to have taken over the novelty slot. I had an RV6 but didn't like the basic sound that much. I'm currently on the lookout for a Hardwire, but maybe one of the older RV series is a solution.

I have a hardwire reverb. Tried to sell it on here not long ago and couldn't shift it. Decided to keep it a dim glad I did. The lexicon reverbs in it sound excellent on acoustic guitar. 

9 hours ago, radiophonic said:

Nope. the Red Panda reverb has gated, and the Source Audio has reverse, but there must be something out there with both. How about TC Hall of Fame, it has 3 tone print slots, bound to be reverse and gated tone prints?

Edited by GazWills

15 hours ago, GazWills said:

Nope. the Red Panda reverb has gated, and the Source Audio has reverse, but there must be something out there with both. How about TC Hall of Fame, it has 3 tone print slots, bound to be reverse and gated tone prints?

Looks like the RV2 has a gate, but not reverse. RV3 has neither, but is a hybrid with a delay. RV5 has the gate again, but not reverse and RV6 loses it in again favour of shimmer. I really disliked the RV6 though and it's the 5 and the 2 that the Shoegaze crowd seem to go for. Digitech seem to be the main players with reverse now - the Polara has the same algorithm as the old Hardwire. The cheaper Digiverb had both and a blend option too, but no additional make-up volume, so if you go 100% wet you lose volume. Not sure about the TC toneprints - they don't mention it. The EHX Holier Grail looks interesting since it has an adjustable gate that can be applied to any reverb type and even reversed. Very big though and no reverse algorithm. Ebay beckons. 

Edited by radiophonic

• 1 month later...

Aye, I also use an RV-3 ... and I LOVE it. 

I have two common uses for the reverb at present, using various reverb settings in conjunction with various synth sounds, and alone, subtly, when playing fretless. I love the thing. It works beautifully for bass.

The delays are fun though, truth be told, I haven’t really put the time in there. I need to explore that section a bit more when playing without a looper.

I tend to use the delay on the effects section of my looper (Boss RC-300). That’s not the greatest delay, I admit, but it’s synced to whatever loop I’ve got happening, and there’s a lot of value in that. I guess I could use the delay in the RV-3 for looping, but I’d need to become a bit more precise, haha!

Edited by Fionn