Why become a member? ×

Automatic Man

fleabag

Anyone remember this band ?  First album from '76 was a killer , if you like that sort of genre. 2nd album " Vistors " not so good after 2 key members left

Original line up was ex Santana tubbist  Michael Shrieve , The only Englisman  Bayete on Keys / a few lead vocals and most of the tracks written by him ( real name Todd Cochrane )

Doni Harvey on Bass and Pat Thrall on wizard guitar.  Harvey and Shrieve were not on the 2nd album

• Thanks 1

I bought the first album without a cover for about a quid not long after it came out (may have been a promo pressing). Used to play it quite a lot and remember it being the first I'd heard of Pat Thrall. I can't remember much about it now unfortunately... 

I've still got their first, and second on vinyl.

Def. prefer the first - lovely complex keys arrangements.  Remember the band saying they didnt play live much due to the complexity of the arrangements and the available tech at the time made it difficult to do

Still, a prized album for me.  AFAIK, those 2 albums never made it to CD. I looked for years, but maybe they can be had these days

Edited by fleabag

36 minutes ago, skidder652003 said:

Thought I deffo heard some glenn Hughes on vocals there but apparently not, but I think they worked togeather after this?

I vaguely remember a rumour that Glenn Hughes may have contributed to the first album. He was a mate of Pat Thrall and he certainly sang uncredited on other friend's albums around the same time (notably the first Tommy Bolin solo album). Hughes did work with Pat Thrall on the under-rated Hughes/Thrall album a few years later. 

Edited by peteb

1 hour ago, fleabag said:

I've still got their first, and second on vinyl.

Def. prefer the first - lovely complex keys arrangements.  Remember the band saying they didnt play live much due to the complexity of the arrangements and the available tech at the time made it difficult to do

Still, a prized album for me.  AFAIK, those 2 albums never made it to CD. I looked for years, but maybe they can be had these days

There you go: 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Automatic-Man-Remastered/dp/B0001Q5YDG/ref=tmm_acd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1536783426&sr=8-1

Edited by peteb
  • Like 1