Why become a member? ×

Hofner ignition violin bass

Daveox

22 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

The Harley Benton Beatbass (Höfner Violin/Beatles Bass clone) is both cheaper and better than the cheapest Chinese made budget Höfner ones: https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_beatbass.htm

I can see the Harley Benton has decent machine heads, which would be a definite plus for me and also increases the range of strings that will fit.

I love the way these basses sound but I just couldn’t get on with mine because of the way the neck is fitted to the body. I didn’t need to use it for that many songs and when I swapped to it from a standard short scale, I was always playing two frets too high, which meant I had to look at the neck constantly to avoid making mistakes. If you watch Sir Paul’s Glasto performance, he was constantly looking down to see where he was on it and he has been playing his for more years than I have had hot dinners! I guess it is less of a problem if you play it exclusively but he was playing so many different instruments…….

1 hour ago, Obrienp said:

If you watch Sir Paul’s Glasto performance, he was constantly looking down to see where he was on it and he has been playing his for more years than I have had hot dinners! I guess it is less of a problem if you play it exclusively but he was playing so many different instruments…….

I'm sure he would have been looking at the neck from time to time (not "constantly") regardless of the instrument! Hardly a critique of the bass.

Edited by Cosmo Valdemar

On 13/11/2023 at 11:19, Baloney Balderdash said:

The Harley Benton Beatbass (Höfner Violin/Beatles Bass clone) is both cheaper and better than the cheapest Chinese made budget Höfner ones: https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_beatbass.htm

Iyou might be right but I had a bad experience with a hb guitar. So I wouldn't take a chance again. Also I could not gig with a hb guitar. Am a bit of a gear snob  😔 soz  the hofner does sound good too with rounds on. 

Little demo I don with it

Listen to Forget About The Summer . by Tony Mcvey on #SoundCloud
https://on.soundcloud.com/zJmcQ

Edited by Tony macker

4 hours ago, Tony macker said:

Iyou might be right but I had a bad experience with a hb guitar. So I wouldn't take a chance again. Also I could not gig with a hb guitar. Am a bit of a gear snob  😔 soz  the hofner does sound good too with rounds on. 

Little demo I don with it

Listen to Forget About The Summer . by Tony Mcvey on #SoundCloud
https://on.soundcloud.com/zJmcQ

You do realize that Thomann got  a full 30 days, no questions asked, return policy, right?

Also I am a bit of a gramma nazi, so can't take your post seriously. 

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

1 hour ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

You do realize that Thomann got  a full 30 days, no questions asked, return policy, right?

Also I am a bit of a gramma nazi, so can't take your post seriously. 

Well like I said had a bad experience with thomman regarding a ibanez talman bass which arrived with knobs hanging off and was told too ask a friend  or someone who was handy to tighten them back on   luckily am not a beginner.  So I did it myself.  But the point is I had a bad experience..  then I got a hb Tele and the pickups were like microphones.    So I would never by from thomman. Saying that.  Modern ibanez I wouldn't thank you for either. Just my preference....   Don't understand. Ya bein uppety ( slang). About grammar I was answering you or was it I don't do Harley Benton's ?

Edited by Tony macker

On 14/11/2023 at 10:21, Obrienp said:

If you watch Sir Paul’s Glasto performance, he was constantly looking down to see where he was on it and he has been playing his for more years than I have had hot dinners! I guess it is less of a problem if you play it exclusively but he was playing so many different instruments…….

Apparently his violin bass has no side dot markers which means that he has to look at the front of the neck to see where he is on the neck making it more obvious that he's looking.

6 hours ago, bertbass said:

Apparently his violin bass has no side dot markers which means that he has to look at the front of the neck to see where he is on the neck making it more obvious that he's looking.

Ah! That explains a lot. I thought it was very obvious he was looking frequently because he was turning the bass up so the neck faced him. Perhaps this created the impression that he was looking more than normal (whatever normal might be). In my defence, it wasn’t just me thinking this: a number of my non-playing friends and relies asked me why he was looking at the guitar “so much” in this way.

29 minutes ago, Obrienp said:

Ah! That explains a lot. I thought it was very obvious he was looking frequently because he was turning the bass up so the neck faced him. Perhaps this created the impression that he was looking more than normal (whatever normal might be). In my defence, it wasn’t just me thinking this: a number of my non-playing friends and relies asked me why he was looking at the guitar “so much” in this way.

You should have told them that he had had some cutting edge sight activation technology build into his big old 4 string guitar, and that he needed to direct his eyes at just the right spot and with just the right kind of look for it to produce the desired sound, like a softer more tender look will produce a more mellow tone, whereas a firmer look a tighter tone, and angry look a more aggressive one, e.t.c, and that the strings are just there as guidelines to frame the active censoring area and divide it into 3 sections that respectively decides whether the note activated will be sharp, full or flat. 

And if they ever heard of sight reading in relation to music?

And then told them it is related to that.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

In the studio they can be more versatile than you think.  Did you know that the low-end of Air's classic Moon Safari was recorded entirely with a Hofner bass?  In my own dreampop/trip-hop work I would play one directly into Twin Reverb amp simulation software.  The sound was really edgy.

Edited by Agent 00Soul
grammah!
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE well i sorted my ignition violin bass here's how ! get a fret rocker find the culprit frets when identified all the high frets loosen truss rod to straighten neck and if you have ( if not get one ) a fret hammer and tap the high fret back in no need for luthier or to level frets sometimes the frets are just not seated in enough ! great little bass now ...... regards .. tony