Why become a member? ×

Hey guys, I have an absolutely gorgeous Ricky 4003 and now I'm looking for the right amp. I'm primarily after something that will cope with the growl but that is also versatile enough to provide a cool, round, woody tone when required - I love McCartneys bass sound around the mid - late 60's. Other favourites include Jamerson, Willie Weeks, Sting. My budget isn't huge. Budget is £500 give or take. Wouldn't have to be a new amp either, used is fine. I'm considering Fender Rumble 500, Ampeg BA 201 etc 

I'm looking forward to reading your thoughts, advice and experiences. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

Initial thoughts were straight to the Rumble 500 or the Ampeg BA210. If you look at Thomann, you'll see that Hartke do a similar combo, the HD500.

If you look through the second hand market, either here or on eBay/Gumtree and the like, you could possibly find either the Fender or the Ampeg for a more reasonable price, or something like an Ashdown Rootmaster 420, or something else from a higher price range (GK, MarkBass, etc.).

You can also look at different types of amps, like a combo, or a head & cab on the second hand market.

Though very much like basses, you need to really try some out before you commit to buy anything, so I would recommend that you go and visit some of your local (and not so local) music shops, and try out whatever amps they have in stock. Talk to them and see what kind of thing they can get their hands on for you to try out. If you know the shop, take your bass with you too.

Most important of all, use your ears.