Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Pole pieces query

uk_lefty

Just bought a new jazz bass and not had chance to play plugged in yet. Noticed that one of the pole pieces is not flush with the top of the pickup cover but about 1 or 2 mm set in, if that makes sense. Question is, does this affect anything at all? Playing unplugged the bass is glorious so don't want there to be an issue or repair bill.

Thank you!

40 minutes ago, Grangur said:

You say, it's new. Why not get the seller to replace it?

I'm not yet sure if it's an issue at all, but will keep an eye on it in case I have to send back. It was an internet purchase so I have time to check it at full tilt tonight with the band before taking the cellophane off the pickguard. 

If it's something my set up guy can quickly correct I'd rather hang on for him, it's a natural finish and I'm not sure I'll get a replacement just as nice.

• Like 1

I guess, for a really nice-grain bass, you can always replace the pups anyway.

As a side matter, last night I was playing a P bass that I changed the pups in. It's now got a hand-wound Classic P  split-coil from Jess Loureiro. Wow it's got a meaty growl for a p-bass. I'm loving it!

http://jlguitars.eu/shop/index.php?id_product=11&controller=product&id_lang=4

Aren't most pole pieces glued into place?  You might be able to re-set them if you heat the glue enough for the glue to melt, but then if you did, you'd probably melt the plastic and possibly the solder too.

TBH, if the pole pieces aren't set up well, then the pickup possibly isn't a good one anyway. That said, I heard the other night that they used to make the pole pieces under the A string higher, because the A string, back in the day, ws naturally quieter?

Watch at 5:30. He talks about his 1957 P-bass with raised pole pieces.

• Like 1