Why become a member? ×

Compressor for bass and guitar

slingo

I play bass and either acoustic guitar or  6 string electric via an A/B switch through my pedal board into my bass amp, and I'm thinking of getting a compressor pedal to even out my sound. I play 5 and 6 string basses, so I don't want to lose the lows too much. Can anyone recommend a relatively cheap pedal that would work for this application? Am I better with a bass compressor over a guitar one? Looked at Digitech Bass Squeeze, Marshall ED-1, Dr Green Aspirin, EHX Soul Preacher reviews online but not actually tried any out, so just wondering if any of my BC brothers and sisters have had a similar dilemma?

I think I would suggest either the TC Electronic Hypergravity or Spectracomp. There are plenty of amazing compressors out there and you will get loads of suggestions, but what I love about these is that if you are unsure where to start you can choose from a library of programs that are really simple to load on each device. You could then audition as many as you wanted to see which suits your two instruments the best. Later, when you have found a program you like, there is also an editor to iron out those 'if only it did this' issues.

I use mine (I actually have both as I am greedy) for all sorts of instruments and the option of 'changing out their guts' as it were at the flick of a switch makes them really flexible.

• Like 1

Oh wait!

I've had another idea!

See if you can find a TC Electronic Nova Dynamics! - it's one physical pedal but there are two separate compressors in the box. (actually each half can be one of two different types of compressor or noise gate if you wish.. or boost pedal.. or.. lol ) - it'd be so simple to set up Comp 1 for guitar and Comp 2 for bass then switch between them! I can't think of it being too much easier than that.

Dooooood 

Plus one for the Nova Dynamics.

I have one, and it is extremely flexible.

It has two channels, so you can set up each channel for a particular instrument.

You can also mix the amount of compression in each channel with dry signal.

They got a bad rap from Ovnilabs, who said the ones he tried had a noise he couldn’t dial out.

I have not been able to replicate the behaviour he described, so my advice is, if you see one GRAB IT!

8 minutes ago, songofthewind said:

Plus one for the Nova Dynamics.

I have one, and it is extremely flexible.

It has two channels, so you can set up each channel for a particular instrument.

You can also mix the amount of compression in each channel with dry signal.

They got a bad rap from Ovnilabs, who said the ones he tried had a noise he couldn’t dial out.

I have not been able to replicate the behaviour he described, so my advice is, if you see one GRAB IT!

Likewise! I've had two of them and haven't been able to replicate. (I sold the first one, kicked myself for doing so and bought another!!)

I was quite keen on the Dr Green Aspirin and the Bass Squeeze until I read Ovnilabs reviews of them! I'll look into the suggestions above but they seem to be out of my price range.....

Any love for any of the ones I mentioned above or around that price range?

Edited by slingo