Why become a member? ×

PJB Session 77

funky8884

It is pretty much te same pre as the DoubleFour, with a 100w instead of a 70w D class power amp. It will be clean, not brittle and build quality like all PJB stuff will be good. For the right price a good amp. The DoubleFour already was quite loud and this amp has bigger speakers (the 30w more will have minimal impact on extra volume, the bigger speaker surface area will). 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, HazBeen said:

It is pretty much te same pre as the DoubleFour, with a 100w instead of a 70w D class power amp. It will be clean, not brittle and build quality like all PJB stuff will be good. For the right price a good amp. The DoubleFour already was quite loud and this amp has bigger speakers (the 30w more will have minimal impact on extra volume, the bigger speaker surface area will). 

I thought for £314 it would be an nice sounding amp and I do like the idea of the 7" drivers and the size of the box as it should push air more than the CUB and Double 4

• 3 weeks later...

I tried the session 77 , EBS Session 60 and the Flight case ( BG 150 )

The 77 was louder and more focused than the Flightcase but this may be due to the size of the room I was testing the amps in, 

The 77 had a much nicer sound than the EBS and had more volume as the EBS would fart out, the EBS seemed to have more bass but did have that "boxy" sound.

I really liked the Session 77 and at a price of £314 I think it is good value as the quality of sound is very high.The pre-amp is sensitive and very small adjustments effect your sound.

I ended up buying a Double Four as the size suits me and it also is a brilliant little amp and has got me tempted to check out the PJB amps 

Edited by funky8884

45 minutes ago, Alanbass said:

Thanks funky ... that is very helpful feedback. Did the pjb deliver a decent bass sound for fingerstyle bass rather than for slapping.

Hi Alan,  

I'm not a slapper ( at least not a total slapper  ) 

I only played finger style with a 5 string Yamaha PJ when I tested the 77, and it definitely handles the Low B and I think its sound is outstanding, it seems quite flat like a studio monitor so when comparing to other amps this has to be taken into account.

I love the sound of my Double Four and taken into context the size  of the amp it is magic, The Session 77 is louder and would easily do well in an acoustic set and with a volume sensible drummer.

The only thing that stopped me from buying a 77 was the portability as I am constantly moving my practice amp around the house to avoid my wife and 6yr old son so I needed something very portable that can be hidden easily.

Cheers

Wade