Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Clash

Pissman

[quote name='Pissman' post='340144' date='Nov 28 2008, 11:37 PM']Places down town don't have anything :)

Anyone know a good songbook for Clash music? Early stuff through to later.

Thanks,[/quote]
Try on-line tab sites like BassMasta - not always spot on but at least they're free and you get to choose the songs you want to learn

[quote name='Clarky' post='340145' date='Nov 28 2008, 11:39 PM']Try on-line tab sites like BassMasta - not always spot on but at least they're free and you get to choose the songs you want to learn[/quote]
link [url="http://www.bassmasta.net/c/clash,_the/"]http://www.bassmasta.net/c/clash,_the/[/url]

[quote name='Clarky' post='340146' date='Nov 28 2008, 11:41 PM']link [url="http://www.bassmasta.net/c/clash,_the/"]http://www.bassmasta.net/c/clash,_the/[/url][/quote]

Thanks, I usualy use them, have to mix them around though to get the 'right' sound. Not sure how you can get the wrong sound for Clash though..

[quote name='Pissman' post='340161' date='Nov 29 2008, 12:02 AM']Thanks, I usualy use them, have to mix them around though to get the 'right' sound. Not sure how you can get the wrong sound for Clash though..[/quote]

Easily :) His basslines can be a lot more involved than they first appear. White Man In Hammermith Palais is a great line :huh:

I think it was joe strummer who played the bass for guns of brixton and and any of the funky stuff magnif 7/rock the casbah was watt-roy out the block heads,i was very dissapointed when i heard this as paul siminon did look the part.

Edited by YouMa

[quote name='YouMa' post='342443' date='Dec 1 2008, 10:09 PM']I think it was joe strummer who played the bass for guns of brixton and and any of the funky stuff magnif 7/rock the casbah was watt-roy out the block heads,i was very dissapointed when i heard this as paul siminon did look the part.[/quote]
Simonon must have played the bass on those tracks on the great bootleg that was just released officially - Live at Shea Stadium

If you haven't got the CD, try it - its fantastic

Edited by Clarky

He didnt in the studio,im pretty sure it was watt-roy and siminon would play the guitar part of guns of brixton live while strummer played the bass part.As for magnificent 7 i dont reckon he could have nailed it live,ill download the bootleg now though as this has always been an argument i have wanted to defeat since i thought simmo looked so cool.

[quote name='YouMa' post='342459' date='Dec 1 2008, 10:21 PM']He didnt in the studio,im pretty sure it was watt-roy and siminon would play the guitar part of guns of brixton live while strummer played the bass part.As for magnificent 7 i dont reckon he could have nailed it live,ill download the bootleg now though as this has always been an argument i have wanted to defeat since i thought simmo looked so cool.[/quote]

Yeah, I always knew he couldn't play the bass while singing it, but he did write the line.

I swear I've seen him do magnificent 7 live...nut maybe not..

Guns Of Brixton bassline is based in yer basic reggae. Throughout the song it goes.

-------------------
-------444--------
-2---5------5-222-
-------------------

Occasionally the groove emphasis on 5th fret G for the raised vocal bits.

If it were a classic 70s Top Ranking type reggae it would have a second part like this.

-------------------
-------222-------- X2
-0---3------3-000-
-------------------

I suspect that's what's used in 'Invasion Of The Estate Agents' and 'Dub Be Good To Me'. Unless anyone knows better...

Edited by cytania