Why become a member? ×

2018 Fender Jazz American Professional. Any good?

fretmeister

For what it's worth......I have a 2009 Am Std Jazz and a 2017 Am Pro Precission. Two different beasts ofcourse. The build quality is on par and so is the playability (considering different neck widths). The 2017 P pickup is somewhat hotter than the 2009 J pickups but again, two different beasts. The 2017 has fluted tuners and the 2009 doesn't .....it does not matter to me. Both basses stay in tune perfectly. If someone would have offered me a new Am Std P for a reduced price I would have bought it without a doubt. The main reason for Fenders name change is probably profit/marketing driven. Inspite of the newer Fender ranges people pay a fortune for much older instruments. They can't be much worse instruments than the latest models can they?

• Like 1

I haven't got a Pro, but I played a couple. And up until recently I had a lovely 2015 Std Jazz.

For me, aside from the minor (IMO) cosmetic differences the difference is all in the pickups; and on either bass I'd be upgrading them to Fralins, which I did on the Std. The CS and Pro ones are good and different to each other, just not my preferred in either case.

Guess you got to hear them or pick the cheaper one if you'll be changing the pickups?

In an active thread on this forum there is a discussion about a fair price for a 1972 Jazz. It is rated between 1750 and 2000 UK pounds.

Still Fender has been "upgrading" the Jazzbass since. I love Fender basses and guitars but Fender's name changes don't impress me.  The only improvement I see is in the production process, the use of CNC machines etc.