Why become a member? ×

Tips on weird time signatures

i recently saw an amazing eye opener on getting your head around odd time on Scott’s bass lessons. Scott did a course recently with a drummer (Gavin Harrison?) and he had a brilliant way of looking at this, particularly useful for higher beat groupings such as 11,  13, 17 etc. I’m not going to butcher his method by explaining it poorly here but get yourself over to SBL for a free trial and take a look at the course. Suffice to say in about 30 mins I was pretty comfortable grooving in 19/8 and playing fills across the bar line etc. 

Note: in no way am I affiliated with SBL... other music educators are available etc etc etc 😉

Edited by spiltmilk_2000

There are some contemporary prog examples of multiple time signatures in a song; listening to the feel really helps, e.g. 6 o’clock by Dream Theater where the drums change time but the guitars don’t, or Carve Away The Stone by Rush which has 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7/4 in.

or 80s era King Crimson: especially the Discipline album.

18 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

I'll rip it and pop it into Reaper, to see what I can come up with. An exercise; it may work, it may not. Don't wait up... :$

Edit: 7/4 at 150 bpm for the verse. I'll look at the 'chorus' later...

Cool, thanks!