Why become a member? ×

trace elliot pre/power amp setups?

ziggydolphinboy

hi people,
im currently using a trace 400smx head that powers too. and run usually a 4x10 off this and sometimes if i got energy to lift both cabs a 1x15 too.
i was thinking of getting a separate power amp and separate head, as i ve read that with a power amp/ amp set up i coulkd send more pwer to my 1x15 rather than my 4x10 to get a great balance.
is this true and would you guys recomend going for this set up?
I just got a rack tuner so am gonna need a rack to keep that safe so was thinking of upgrading my head system,and fit it into the new rack case. think id ned a six rack , two for pre amp two for amp, 1 for tuner and one spare.
cheers
ziggyboy.

It would work fine, but think about casing the power amp seperatley - so you can use it as an add on without having to re-jig everything. The only potential problem is earth/ground loops, with a few mains powered items in contact through the rack rails, but I've never seen this with Trace stuff (it usually seems to be American stuff that suffers from this?).

[quote name='BassBod' post='339514' date='Nov 28 2008, 12:30 PM']It would work fine, but think about casing the power amp seperatley - so you can use it as an add on without having to re-jig everything. The only potential problem is earth/ground loops, with a few mains powered items in contact through the rack rails, but I've never seen this with Trace stuff (it usually seems to be American stuff that suffers from this?).[/quote]

cheers guvnor.
ziggy.

I went this way...
Then went back to my AH300SMX.
Too much hassle with pre-amps blowing hot & cold. Then the power amp blew up. It all spent more time OUT of the rack case than IN it!
I ended up wanting the "Plug and play" (and work / make noise) simplicity that they Trace continues to give me!

AND... 6u racks have a habit of getting mighty heavy, and are difficult to squeeze through a car door. If you're using a 1u pre-amp and 1u Tuner with a 2u power amp, go for a 4u instead, as they're more manoeuverable.

Whilst rack systems can give greater flexiblity, they can also introduce a degree of complexity that can be frustrating in the event of a fault arising.
If your head goes down mid-gig, you know you can't do much about it, and just try to borrow another.
If you have a rack, there's a temptation to fiddle with the rat's nest of cables at the back and to try and trace (no pun intended!) the fault to one unit or another and so on...

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='342150' date='Dec 1 2008, 05:53 PM']I went this way...
Then went back to my AH300SMX.
Too much hassle with pre-amps blowing hot & cold. Then the power amp blew up. It all spent more time OUT of the rack case than IN it!
I ended up wanting the "Plug and play" (and work / make noise) simplicity that they Trace continues to give me!

AND... 6u racks have a habit of getting mighty heavy, and are difficult to squeeze through a car door. If you're using a 1u pre-amp and 1u Tuner with a 2u power amp, go for a 4u instead, as they're more manoeuverable.

Whilst rack systems can give greater flexiblity, they can also introduce a degree of complexity that can be frustrating in the event of a fault arising.
If your head goes down mid-gig, you know you can't do much about it, and just try to borrow another.
If you have a rack, there's a temptation to fiddle with the rat's nest of cables at the back and to try and trace (no pun intended!) the fault to one unit or another and so on...[/quote]

thanks for that mate sensible words man.
ziggy