Why become a member? ×

12 string bass

I have already had a chat with him, wanted to see what the spacing on that bridge was. The tuners are odd aren't they - but I have seen a bass like that on aliexpress.

And the nut indicates the strings were the wrong way round in the first place!

Edited by Woodinblack

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

I have already had a chat with him, wanted to see what the spacing on that bridge was. The tuners are odd aren't they - but I have seen a bass like that on aliexpress.

And the nut indicates the strings were the wrong way round in the first place!

I had an exchange of messages with him too, he seemed to think that the E and A set of strings were arranged in the correct order but to me it seems like it should be the D and G sets that are right. I wonder if one side could be swapped around - a new nut is needed anyway. 

What is the bridge spacing like btw? It appears to have separate saddles for the single low and high pair, which is nice! Were you thinking of going for it?

I don't inhabit aliexpress - I'm bad enough with eBay and Gumtree! 

The bridge spacing appears to be exactly the same as the bridge on my dean - I figured it looked like the same sort of thing. I was kind of thinking of getting it for parts for a good one, having got an aliexpress bass I know what they are like, and I suspect the only real reason you would sell a bass without strings is that without the strings it makes it hard to see if the neck is bowed or otherwise damaged. There is a lot of force on a 12 string neck (which is why the original hammers were shorter scale), and the deans have twin truss rods to hold it, that doesn't.

The E and A strings are indeed correct and the D & G are upside down, except that the nut (which would need replacing) is backwards too (not that it matters considering it is no use).

I was still in two minds about getting it, but if anyone else was going for it I wouldn't as I would only be buying it for parts. I doubt the neck is any use at all. And then I want to buy a replacement 5 for my cricket bat, and a roli block, and.. I don't know, there are some expensive basses on here that are still tempting!

In my best Dragon's Den voice - 'I'm out'

I have enough projects, and enough cheap guitars! (and what I really want is a nice-ish 8er) 

Looking at the depth of the nut slots I reckon you are right about the neck being a bit of a banana...