Why become a member? ×

Ashdown Evo 11 180 (Electric blue) combo

TheGreek

Ashdown say:
OVERVIEW
Electric Blue loads legendary Ashdown tone into an affordable high-performance, high-value combo.
The Electric Blue EVO II 1x12 Bass Combo uses a 180-watt RMS fan-cooled fast-transient power stage. It features a fully-featured bass preamplifier with inputs for both active and passive instruments, an illuminated VU meter; 5-band EQ with Bright and Deep switches; a front panel-mounted balanced DI output for connection to a PA or recording console; an FX loop; a tuner/line output; and the classic Ashdown sub-harmonic generator.
Consistent with its EVO II status, this combo also includes a built-in compressor to provide an exceptional level of sonic control for a bass amp of this size and cost.

A high-performance Ashdown bass driver ensures exceptional attack, clarity, and low-end performance, while an extension speaker output can be used to connect an additional cabinet for use in larger venues. The cabinet is finished in a tough, retro-style vinyl covering.

FEATURES
  • 1 x 12" BlueLine speaker
  • 180-watt RMS fan-cooled Fast-transient power stage
  • Fully-featured bass preamp
  • Inputs for both active and passive instruments
  • Illuminated VU meter
  • 5-band EQ with Bright and Deep switches
  • Front panel-mounted balanced DI output
  • FX loop
  • Tuner/line output
  • Ashdown sub-harmonic generator
  • Built-in compressor
  • High-performance Ashdown bass driver
  • Extension speaker output
  • Retro-style vinyl covering

I bought one of these recently...came along at a price I couldn't refuse and I'd heard lots of good things about them so I jumped in - even though I really don't need another amp.

Nice compact little amp with a 12" speaker - a punchy little fella - the built in compressor works well and allows you to get those fat, punchy tones reminiscent of your classic Trace Elliot combos without too much fiddling. The amp says 180w - haven't tried it above 50% but it certainly punches above it's weight at relatively low volumes - that "High-performance Ashdown bass driver" doesn't seem to have any problems handling the lows or the compressed high mids where others, in the past, have.. Simple arrangement of 5x band EQ knobs which even an idiot like me can get their head round makes this easy to dial in your usual/favourite tone set up - takes seconds and may never be moved or adjusted.

EQ:

• Bass: ±15dB at 100Hz
  • Lo Mid: ±15dB at 220Hz
  • Middle: ±15dB at 660Hz
  • Hi Mid: ±15dB at 1.6kHz
  • Treble: ±15dB at 7kHz shelving
  • Deep: +8dB at 50Hz
  • Bright: +10dB at 10kHz
  • Effects Send: Impedance 22k?/Level 0dBu nominal
  • Effects Return: Impedance 22k?/Level 0dBu nominal
  • Distortion: Less than 0.5% THD
  • H x W x 😧 19-3/4" x 18-1/2" x 12"
  • Weight: 59-1/2lb.

The stats say just under 60lbs but to be honest, because of it's compact size, it's an easy lift so doesn't feel that heavy. Having said that, the single handle on top should really be replaced by two handles  - one on either side - which would make it easier still. 

It is a good little amp - I was very impressed - certainly rivals many of the competition...I'd say it's as good as, if not better than, the Genz Benz 300 or the Markbass Jeff Berlin which both disappointed me and cost significantly more.

You can pick one of these up used for around the £100 mark if you look around - great value for what may be a very under-rated bit of kit. Ideal for bedroom use and, though I haven't pushed it to it's max, could potentially work in your "small pub venues".

I like it..

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I used to own one of these - the version with the 12" speaker, not the 15". It's good for smaller pub gigs - I don't think it would be able to keep up with a heavy-hitting drummer.

TheGreek writes above: "it certainly punches above it's weight at relatively low volumes" and I agree with this, but the important caveat is that once you turn the volume dial above 12 o'clock, it doesn't really have much more to give. Again, I can only speak for the 1x12 version - I'd expect the 1x15 driver to be able to go a bit louder.

S.P.