Why become a member? ×

Why can you not play quietly???

thepurpleblob

On 12/06/2018 at 22:21, dood said:

Yes indeed missed by many a band. 

One huge problem is with certain musicians who are under the mysterious spell of thinking that things only sound good  when REALLY loud. "My valve amp sounds better cranked" and "I can't get the tone out of my kit if I play lightly" I have heard oh so often. Thing is, I agree that certain equipment does indeed sound awesome loud, but are totally overkill for 90% of gigs. That Marshall 100W and 4x12 cabinet doesn't start to do that beautiful compression characteristic until the valves are working hard and the speaker cones are near their limits. By that point, the volume is tinnitus incurring. So, for the most part, that kit is the wrong kit for the job at the Dog and Duck on a Friday night. 

I have done a fair few gigs as sound guy. The number of times I was unable to get a good mix was surprising. A cranked Fender twin causes problems in even medium sized venues, and if not tilted it beams out even at quite big gigs.