Why become a member? ×

Behringer BXL1800 issues :-((

carlab87

Hey, i need a bit of technical advice, not very knowledgeable in the bass amp area.

Ive recently bought a Behringer BXL 1800 ultrabass and took it to a live rehersal on sunday, it was bloody awful! I had nothing but issues, the gain/OD control which i had been using at home and set up perfectly, lost its nice sound completely, just like it was a normal channel, so we tried mic-ing the amp up, still no decent od/gain, then i added my boss bass overdrive pedal to the mix but randomly started getting awful feedback/humming noise, what started off quietly but got so loud i had to switch the amp off....so, then we tried using the DI output straight to the mixer, same thing (the mic was moved away from the amp and switched off....obviously!) but still the noise kept randomly happening, which then resulted in me disconnecting my OD pedal and having a really naff sound....but i dont know what else to do.....slightly concerned as i have a gig in just over 2 weeks :-//. no other instruments i.e guitars/mics were near my amp, and the volume wasnt very loud at all, if it had been i probably would have broke some windows >.<

any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

thankies,

carla x

Edited by carlab87

Hello Carla to be honest with Behringer you get what you pay for,and they have not got the best track record you need to take it to a guitar shop or at least let someone who has experience with electronics have a look at its guts.It would be very difficult to solve on line,you could try going to maplin or somewhere and spraying contact cleaner into the gain potentiometer(knob) as it could just be a build up of dirt in thre causing the signal to drop in and out.

I'd contact behringer if i were you, that or the shop you bought it from, if you didn't get it online. If you have gigs etc sometimes the shop will loan you a replacement while yours is off being repaired.

I had a behringer ultrabass BX1200, and i really wasn't impressed with it.... it had a habit of losing gain from what i remember. absolutely rubbish amps (sorry!) if i were you i'd get it repaired and get rid ASAP!

Try the contact cleaner first on your knobs carla,you will be waiting a long time for Behringer,i would have a look for you myself but im not insured if i f*** it up,if you unscrew the front panel you shouldnt invalidate the warranity.Sorry i cant be more help its up to you dude.

i bought it online after reading some supposedly good reviews about it, didnt have any problems with it at home but as soon as it was set up in a live gig situation, it failed to deliver what it said on the can! :-( lol im still waiting to hear back from the company i got it from, its faulty and im not impressed with the quality of it (more fool me i know, but i didnt know any better at the time :-( ) i have rights as a customer to turn down a replacement and ask for a refund dont i? i heard somewhere it was 21 days legally?

thankies,

carla

[quote name='YouMa' post='337985' date='Nov 27 2008, 02:05 AM']Try the contact cleaner first on your knobs carla,you will be waiting a long time for Behringer,i would have a look for you myself but im not insured if i f*** it up,if you unscrew the front panel you shouldnt invalidate the warranity.Sorry i cant be more help its up to you dude.[/quote]

all the knobs seem to be operating fine, no dirt or anything :-/ damn thing!