Why become a member? ×

Ever find your cheapest bass has the best tone?

markdavid

On 26/05/2018 at 00:12, josie said:

Let's distinguish second hand bargains from list prices.

This is probably a very important distinction to make! And now that you've made it, I shall be completely contrary and bring up the excellent bang-for-buck that can (sometimes) be achieved with parts or kit builds. My kit-build Precision and my shonky 3-pickup Frankenbass are probably still the cheapest in my collection; not necessarily the best tones but I'm certainly very happy with them.

For one that I can stick a definite list price on, my cheapest bass is an Epi EB-3. I don't know about "best" tone - it's an acquired taste at the best of times, but after its upgrade (a DiMarzio to replace the stock mudbucker), it's greatly improved, and is kind of in a category of its own compared to my others...

Here's someone getting a nice tone with a cheap bass - an SX with a Dimarzio, foam and flats. Very Serge Gainsbourg-y. 

I think the third song at 7.40 is really quite special if surfy Thai psych guitar shredding isn't to your taste. 

Edited by KK Jale

Guest MoJo
On 5/31/2018 at 00:02, casapete said:

As a Danelectro fan , I’m bound to agree to a certain extent! Does my Longhorn have the ‘best’ tone of my basses? Maybe not, but  it’s probably my favourite nevertheless. 

I think you've hit the nail on the head there. Cheaper basses may not have a superior tone, but they may have the right tone for the job and thus become the 'go to' bass

Guest MoJo
19 hours ago, KK Jale said:

Here's someone getting a nice tone with a cheap bass - an SX with a Dimarzio, foam and flats. Very Serge Gainsbourg-y. 

I think the third song at 7.40 is really quite special if surfy Thai psych guitar shredding isn't to your taste. 

Cool looking bass. Similar Ice Cream / White colour combination to my Vintage V4