Why become a member? ×

Doug Stegmeyer

BrunoBass

A little - I'm not a fan particularly of old BJ, but I'm aware there was some tasty playing by Doug on many of his finest songs.

I read a long piece on Talkbass some years back, he's got some big fans over there, and I remember reading how Doug was known as the 'Drill Sargent of the Billy Joel band' - keeping things together in more ways than one!

There was also a piece on how BJ dismissed the entire band? I'm not enough of an expert on that. Suffice to say, I know that Doug went on to play with many others, until his sad demise.

'Movin' Out' has got some cool bits, and I also have a soft spot for 'My Life'. Clearly a great player, but not one you see popping up to regularly.

22 hours ago, ianrendall said:

An astounding player. Been a HUGE Joel fan since about 1992, took up the bass in ‘96 and listened to BJ in a whole new light. He met a tragic end though. 

Yes Billy Joel seems to be perennially overlooked as a songwriter, particularly in the UK where the general public only really know him for Uptown Girl and Just The Way You Are. A pity really, when songs like Captain Jack, Allentown and Scenes From An Italian Restaurant are so well observed lyrically and brilliantly realised musically - everything I want in a song. He’ll probably only be reappraised and appreciated once he’s gone, unfortunately.

58 minutes ago, BrunoBass said:

Yes Billy Joel seems to be perennially overlooked as a songwriter, particularly in the UK where the general public only really know him for Uptown Girl and Just The Way You Are. A pity really, when songs like Captain Jack, Allentown and Scenes From An Italian Restaurant are so well observed lyrically and brilliantly realised musically - everything I want in a song. He’ll probably only be reappraised and appreciated once he’s gone, unfortunately.

Agreed. His 2 biggest hits are his least interesting musically to me. Rosalinda’s Eyes is one of my favourites. I am also quite fond of his earlier work which featured a fair amount of pedal steel guitar. He’s so much more diverse than people think with distinctive style changes over the years, he really can do it all. 

Edited by ianrendall
  • Like 1