Why become a member? ×

I've been wasting time and money..

TheGreek

21 hours ago, TheGreek said:

So, like many here, I've spent lots of time and money "researching" basses and amps. Some of the gear I've acquired I love, others "not so much".

In the past 10 years I've probably owned 50+ basses in the search for the ultimate tone palette. The list reads like a What's what of quality basses - Wal, Ritter, Status, Overwater, Shuker,  Warwick, Spector, I've got a number of custom builds, I've even owned a Fender or two. 

I generally have basses on a rota, play them for 3-4 months put them back in their case, bring another out. One of the basses I've neglected to play (been in it's case unplayed for over 3 years) is a Veillette Citron - most of you haven't even heard of them, never mind played one. One of less than a handful in the UK, It's always been top of my list of my "never to be sold" list. I also had a fretless which I foolishly sold here, only because it wasn't getting played.

I rotated basses yesterday, went looking for my Overwater Jazz but instead pulled out the VC. Recognising it hadn't been out for a while I took it to the amp and plugged it in.

WOW!!

Yes WOW!! Indeed!!

I now remember why I decided that this would be "the last to go" - man, it blew my mind. Tough, kicking tones - proper punchy - everything I've ever wanted tones-wise from a bass. Made me question why I've ever bought anything else ( other than i wouldn't really want to take it anywhere it might get hurt/stolen).

All this time chasing the "unobtainable" when the whole time I've had what I wanted in a case. 

Photos and sound clips to follow.

I think many of us on here will agree with this Mick; it's something that's very true of myself, that's for sure..

I remember playing some of your very fine basses a year or so ago, when I came over to check out a Trace cab you were selling at the time, and - no disrespect to your other basses - but the VC was head and shoulders above all of them - it was that good!

This thread is a good reminder to take a long hard look at what gear you have now. As with most BC members, I have almost permanent GAS for something, even when I don’t what it is. Just the sound of a good bass or rig (or both together - super dangerous) gets me trawling the internet for info on the kit in question and we know where that leads to, don’t we boys and girls? The most recent example of this is hearing Marc Van Wageningen with Tower of Power on Jools (extended version on Beeb 2 tonight) and then going on to investigate his Fodera and Aguilar gear (fortunately way too expensive to even contemplate).  However, I found a video of Joe Osborne talking about his Fodera and how to go about shopping for a new bass. That video plus this thread has had me playing and evaluating my custom Maruszczyks and you know what? I’m pretty much sorted really (bar maybe a pickup replacement) and my GAS is just ennui. I now just have to remember that I’ve made this public and fully expect folks to beat me with my own stick should I stray into any GAS driven purchases.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1