Why become a member? ×

NBD Hofner Club Ignition

Trueno

1 hour ago, markdavid said:

500k on HCT, 250k on the German made Hofners

I wonder how that affects the sound? Seems like an odd thing to do if the pickups are identical. They are only being used as volume controls aren't they?

Edited by Sparky Mark

55 minutes ago, Sparky Mark said:

I wonder how that affects the sound? Seems like an odd thing to do if the pickups are identical. They are only being used as volume controls aren't they?

It is supposed to have an impact on the brightness of the tone, the German Hofners are usually a little darker sounding which I believe is partially down to this, yes only used as volume controls.  It does seem like an odd thing to do  but the control panels for the CT are Chinese made so they are probably made as cheaply as possible with whatever components they are able to get cheaply, to use a common phrase "built to a price"

• Thanks 1

Here's an interesting video showing the difference in sound between the HCT and German made models, before and after swapping the HCT pots from 500k to 250k. 

Edited by ikay
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, ikay said:

Here's an interesting video showing the difference in sound between the HCT and German made models, before and after swapping the HCT pots from 500k to 250k. 

What a great video. Changing the strings and controls at the same time made it impossible to hear which made the biggest difference; I suspect it's the strings. It'd be interesting to do a similar comparison of the Contemporary and Ignition. 

14 hours ago, Sparky Mark said:

What a great video. Changing the strings and controls at the same time made it impossible to hear which made the biggest difference; I suspect it's the strings. It'd be interesting to do a similar comparison of the Contemporary and Ignition. 

Yes I thought the same thing, i enjoy this guys youtube channel but I think he should have had flats on both to start with to make the comparison a fair one

• Like 1