Why become a member? ×

how much do you get paid for session work??

CHRISDABASS

[quote name='3V17C' post='335533' date='Nov 24 2008, 02:42 PM']i say again........ these internet based paid sessions sound good - any recommended sites etc to get hooked up with people?

peace

c[/quote]

Hi Clive - I have no idea how you would go about getting hooked up but thought I would reply to your question anyway. I know that generally basschat is a very helpful community but (call me cynical) I would imagine that there isn't that much of this type of work around and that anyone who is doing it will be pretty protective of it so as to not lose their work. As you say these internet sessions sound great so I think there would be a queue for doing this.

Maybe others will prove be wrong and post some links or advice!

Steve

[quote name='3V17C' post='335533' date='Nov 24 2008, 02:42 PM']i say again........ these internet based paid sessions sound good - any recommended sites etc to get hooked up with people?

peace

c[/quote]

Like Birdy said i doubt there's much of this sort of work around and if im honest i wouldn't know where to start! i was very lucky! 2 years ago a friend of mine produced this artists last album and called me up when he needed help with the bass on one of the songs! i helped him out and was very happy just to be involved as im a big fan of his music!

2 years later im doing the whole record! :)

[quote name='birdy' post='335908' date='Nov 24 2008, 10:44 PM']I know that generally basschat is a very helpful community but (call me cynical) I would imagine that there isn't that much of this type of work around and that anyone who is doing it will be pretty protective of it so as to not lose their work. As you say these internet sessions sound great so I think there would be a queue for doing this.
Steve[/quote]

Building up contacts ..Same as any business.
There is more of that type of work around than you can imagine. [Because of low budgets]
Just listen to the hundreds of Digital broadcast stations around on Tv.
All that music has to come from somewhere.
Mostly library and productions companies.
But in amongst all the programmed tracks there is usually at least one live instrument.
It sort of gives it more of a live feel [ some say Debatable ]
Put a live Violin or Cello on top of a programmed String arrangement, it helps a lot.
Live Sax etc...
So the work is out there.
Of course there is still the regular Studio sessions going on for a lot of things.
A Jazz thing dont really work programmed [Swing i mean]
You can do a good Orchestral mock up - but it aint gonna sound like the real thing.
I cant see a James Bond Film Theme working from someones Bedroom using Logic or whatever.

If you want to make contacts, you are better of pitching at composers rather than
Other Bassists, [ for Internet sessions ] Try googling Library / production co's..100's of them.
Every man and his dog has some sort of Studio now days, so not as hard as you may think.
I have been a full time Muso for over 30 years, so have built up quite a few contacts,
along with quite a few other Basschatters ,i should imagine.
Its all about Budgets...Music is always bottom of the list these days.
I am not talking about promoting New Girl singers and turns etc,
But general production Music.

[ Call me cynical ] seems to be the phrase on this post.
If you dont know many commercial Airline pilots....
It dont mean that there is not many commercial flights. :)

Garry