Why become a member? ×

Pair of P pups in a P bass... issues

warwickhunt

I'm now sorted with a P bass (MIJ) and before it even arrives I've started considering a 2nd pup in the bass. :)

I'm considering adding a 2nd P pup in the bridge position, are there any obvious technical issues with that and is it feasible to have a pair of stacked pots so that I have a the 2 volumes on one shaft (worked independently to vary the sound or turned off/down simultaneously) and the pair of tone controls on the other?

I may love the bass when it arrives but I'm punting this out there as I've almost always preferred the tone/flexibility of 2 pups in the past (and I didn't want a Jazz before you say).

[quote name='Stewart' post='334427' date='Nov 22 2008, 02:40 PM']Fender made a model with two sets of P pickups - Precision Elite I think...?

No problem with the concentric pots for volume contols, but doubt it's worth having two tone controls - it just shaves top off after all.[/quote]

I've noted the 2 pup Elite and it's active with Lace Sensors but wondered if the Techies had any thoughts on a pair of passives. The 2 tones was simply to retain a bit of the versatility of having the 2 pups with independant tone controls as opposed to running both pups to an individual passive treble cut pot (I'd rather avoid going active ATM). The idea of a pair of dual concentric is that I can retain the original 2 hole system in the scratchplate.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='334433' date='Nov 22 2008, 02:48 PM']I've noted the 2 pup Elite and it's active with Lace Sensors but wondered if the Techies had any thoughts on a pair of passives. The 2 tones was simply to retain a bit of the versatility of having the 2 pups with independant tone controls as opposed to running both pups to an individual passive treble cut pot (I'd rather avoid going active ATM). The idea of a pair of dual concentric is that I can retain the original 2 hole system in the scratchplate.[/quote]

Hi John

I've always run dual concentric on my P/Js, far greater flexibility than V/V/T. Electrics are easy but soldering the joints can be a bit technical. I've a pair of stacked controls with chrome knobs you can have for £30. There's some pix in the for sale forum somewhere

Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='334638' date='Nov 22 2008, 11:01 PM']Hi John

I've always run dual concentric on my P/Js, far greater flexibility than V/V/T. Electrics are easy but soldering the joints can be a bit technical. I've a pair of stacked controls with chrome knobs you can have for £30. There's some pix in the for sale forum somewhere

Chris[/quote]

As soon as it arrives Chris and I make a decision I'll look into that further Chris but I'm pleased to see that in theory there are no major issues with that config.

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='334661' date='Nov 22 2008, 11:48 PM']John

Surely if it's a P you are after then with your collection you don't need to make it more like something you already have?

Just a thought.[/quote]

TBH Peter you've probably hit the nail on the head but I'm after something with a more traditional 'look' (sad but true) that will fit into a band I've kicked off. If I wanted the P bass sound then a Stage I rolled onto the neck pup will just about fool 99% of the general populace down at my local pub (the other 1% being peshed bassists and they don't give a f*ck :huh: ) but you'd be amazed how many will look and expect to see old Leo's rough hewn plank paraded on stage. :)