Why become a member? ×

SOLD***Unique Fretless Humbucker Jazz Bass***SOLD

Prosebass

The bass above is a cracker, really. As I said in my previous thread (somewhere below this one I guess) it's both visually stunning and great to play (the neck isn't far off my '79 Fender maple fretless, which is for sale by the way, although you probably knew that :huh: ). It is also somewhat surprising to the ear, and to a certain extent, this was my real problem; not having read Paul's thread perhaps as well as I should have done I didn't realise that what looks like a vintage and likely mellow-sounding bass actully posseses a pretty contemporary feel and sound, which means it's not really my thing. The dot marker issue was, as Paul suggests, a bit of an assumption on my part and not really his error: I said in my previous post that once I'd got it set up to my liking this was going to be a cracking 2nd fretless, problem was, I was trying to reset the intonation from between-fret dot markers to on-fret dot markers and simply ran out of bridge screw on the G and D strings. I played it for a couple of hours on Thursday evening and then switched to my main fretless, and my intonation was all over the place (until that point however I had no idea of the extent to which I use peripheral vision to locate a note by dot markers, so it was in fact quite a useful learning experience - apologies to those of you who I've lambasted in the past for not being able to play fretless by ear alone :) ). I played it again last night and although I found the active electronics quite pleasing (I'll let Paul explain the details), it's not my sound and, as I still couldn't get to grips with the intonation, came to the conclusion that this bass just isn't going to work as a back-up/rehearsal fretless for me.
I guess that if I were a little more materialistic I'd probably have this on ebay for £300, which is still less than it's probably worth, and TBH, I'm surprised Paul hasn't done so!
Feel free to post here or PM me for any other stuff I can tell you about this
Chris

Paul & Chris

As I was partly responsible for all this and was quietly hoping it would reappear again shortly - Im back in for this beauty. I've got the money for this now. I'll send Paul a PM regarding spec etc. shortly

An open question to both of you - do you think a fretless beginner like myself should opt for a lined version of the neck or take the plunge with an unlined one?

[quote name='deaver' post='334383' date='Nov 22 2008, 01:06 PM']Paul & Chris

As I was partly responsible for all this and was quietly hoping it would reappear again shortly - Im back in for this beauty. I've got the money for this now. I'll send Paul a PM regarding spec etc. shortly

An open question to both of you - do you think a fretless beginner like myself should opt for a lined version of the neck or take the plunge with an unlined one?[/quote]

A lined one is easier but you become reliant on the lines for your fretting rather than playing from memory and ear....
If you learn on an unlined one by ear you will be able to play any fretless of the same scale without problem at least thats what I have found over the years.
I currently have my Hofner S7B which is a lined de-fretted , a customers de-fretted lined Precision Lookalike and another with an Ebanol Mighty Mite fretless neck and can swop between them all no problem.
The fact that the side dots are in the position of a fretted neck may actually help if you normally play fretted and have little experience of fretless basses.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='334407' date='Nov 22 2008, 02:07 PM']Out of interest - if Prosebass can fret the bass , or add fret lines at such reasonable cost , couldn't the dots be shifted too if the buyer wished them to be in actual fret positions?[/quote]

The dots can simply be drilled out plugged and new ones positioned. For a fretted neck I would replace the neck with a fretted neck from stock.
Lining the fretless neck is a reasonably simple task with a fret jig / fretsaw and filler or filler strips.

Its all going my way this weekend, played a blinder of a gig last night, City beat Arsenal 3-0 and I've finally ended up with this bass. I promised Chris I would take his Precision fretless off him if my lottery numbers come up tonight....the way things are going you never know

[quote name='deaver' post='334582' date='Nov 22 2008, 07:49 PM']Its all going my way this weekend, played a blinder of a gig last night, City beat Arsenal 3-0 and I've finally ended up with this bass. I promised Chris I would take his Precision fretless off him if my lottery numbers come up tonight....the way things are going you never know[/quote]

Fingers crossed :)

[quote name='deaver' post='334582' date='Nov 22 2008, 07:49 PM']Its all going my way this weekend, played a blinder of a gig last night, City beat Arsenal 3-0 and I've finally ended up with this bass. I promised Chris I would take his Precision fretless off him if my lottery numbers come up tonight....the way things are going you never know[/quote]
You can buy us all a bass each then :)

[quote name='budget bassist' post='334614' date='Nov 22 2008, 09:36 PM']You can buy us all a bass each then :)[/quote]
It'll be a free bass for all who look at the picture of me playing last night and add comments along the lines of "you look cool", "is that Robert de Leo" etc etc