Why become a member? ×

Bean9seventy - the first UK funk / slap bassist?

Bean9seventy

3 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

More of an honest reaction to the jive talk really.  I was not that pretty as a baby, believe me.

should do the typical chat room reaction ?? ;)

why should i believe you ? ;)

well ? not to worry, when you reach 21 you will be able to wear long trousers like the rest of us , ;)

yeah , the jazz cafe thing was not c,o,t,t violent as per say , but it was bad "Very" physical being attacked by someone from behind , who was hiding behind a curtain ,

grabbed round the Gregory Peck from behind nearly fell over / almost dropped my bass ,, struggling to stay on my feet 

yanked the jack plug out of my bass whilst in the head lock ,, the guts fell out of my bass ,, ruined , ( later i managed to fix the wires using bubble gum )

whilst still being in the head lock ,, he managed scramble to grab the mic , shouting "no more jam ,,, jazz musicians , pointing at players to get on stage ,

kicked me off stage nearly fell off ,

200 - 400 people laughing calling me every jibe name you could think of ,

the manager of the jazz cafe was at the door when i walked out ,,i kind of remember him with little finger in the corner of his mouth kind of saying bye don't come back , none of the other musicians stopped it , or said sorry (fn)

the irony was there was another jam round the corner ,, where they would hand me the bass before i brought a drink ,,

i had done nothing wrong at the jazz cafe i waited "5 weeks" to get a slot ,

i walked home ,, the old chin started to wobble ,,, i was finished ,

i was grabbed the very second i was about to play the very 1st note ,, #

i was finished , & spent more time with free hippy peaceful people ,,

by 2007 they suggested i put a few tunes on my space , instead i chose you tube ,

8 hours ago, tthiggins said:

That sounds totally out of order especially as you're  clearly a great player..what the flip was that all about ?

i was never bitter about it ,

after years of thought , decades

it could be the whole idea of show biz & fame ? ,, the ruthless effect it has on people ,,

during those 5 weeks they tried every guy around who knew 4 strings ,, one week out of the 5 was cancelled , live music , but no jam session ,,

maybe its true ,, if i only played the 1st note & bar ,,could it be , they had to stop it , ?

WKD a bar down the road used to hand me the bass as soon as i walked in ,

yeah , so the whole thing made me completely not interested ,, in how good / big name / look at me musician , some people are , not all ,

you tube changed all that ,, we started to see  few brilliant bedroom musicians taking on the pros ,,

quite happy on you tube

• Like 2

6 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

It isn't the worst excuse that I've seen for using YT as an outlet.

YT , its a great outlet , & we have seen many bedroom players getting right into the mix ,,

moving away from the jazz cafe thing , back to MK ,,

after doing my 1st MK YT upload i uploaded this as the 2nd

1st ,, back then on YT there was no original recording of love games on YT every upload was tweaked eg out of tune or a remix ,,

so i had to use a remix recording as per above ,

2nd ,, the above jams were some of the very 1st uploads on YT played on a fender type bass  ,, eg or , non MK bass ,,

after my uploads ,, more people were un afraid to use any bass to cover MK

it was almost as tho you had to have a MK bass, to play his covers back then

people on YT  didn't take to the above jam  so ,

i uploaded this

people hated this version even more  because i was playing it wrong ,,

but , i told them its the way i learnt to sing & play it back in 1985 /86 ,,

yes , a student brought this LP brought it to my room i played the whole LP  on bass ,

he banged his fists on the wall begging screaming why i was not in a band

when i told him why ,, he shook my hand & agreed ,

comments & questions from All are welcome ,

THANKS

• Like 1