Why become a member? ×

Combined cost of equipment

KingPrawn

the money I have spent over the years, not yet worked out

Current basses cost me about £11k

Current guitars at about £8K

To replace them? Difficult to know. My '73 P bass was £450 back in 1990 but I swapped some gear that I couldn't sell for it.

I do have a couple of classics in my collection that are worth much more than I paid for them. My '83 Steinberger was £2K but it's almost immaculate but that's not worth much more than that now.

I try and use everything now and again but my Aria SBR150 is a bit heavy for me these days

If I added in my PA & Desk that's another £4K

current bass amp & both cabs about £700

All tax deductible and quite a lot of fun, plus a handy nest egg for when I retire

Edited by police squad

Good thread this! And it's got me thinking...

Did a quick count up of existing gear and it's about £6k not including a few acoustic guitars..

All of it has been acquired over a 12 year period (when I started playing again after an 11 year break).

So, in my self-justifying brain, it's an average spend of about £500 per year and, as I don't smoke or drink - nor do I have any other expensive hobbies like golf/cars/cycling etc - then I'm pretty comfortable with it.

Having said that, it's real value to me is that it's absolutely priceless - I just can't imagine life without the opportunity and the equipment I need to make music with other like-minded people on a daily, weekly, monthly, yearly basis!

And the value to my nearest & dearest is incalculable as I'd be even more insufferable to be around if I couldn't play the bass and make music.