Why become a member? ×

Combined cost of equipment

KingPrawn

Following on the tail of the Gas thread. I was thinking what the combined cost of our equipment is here on BC is? If it’s just bass equipment I estimate mine to be the best part of £7000. That’s all basses, amps, cabs, leads, pedals etc. It’s obscene!

Yep . I worked out the other day that I've sunk over a grand on pedals in the last 5 years .

Apart from the tuner , 2 are always on (SFX Thumpinator and Micro EQ) , and one only one gets used for a Muse song (Prunes and Custard) .

Still got them all - either sitting on the board , or at home in my wardrobe .

I agree , it's obscene he he

About 18 years ago we had to total up the value (new prices) of all of the band's equipment (which also included a custom built box-trailer admittedly) and the total value was just over £38k.

I dread to think what that would be at current prices.

So I was talking to the wife about NYC Sadowsky's and she asked the price. When I told her she didn't miss a beat and said, "That's a lot, but if they're worth it, get one".

When I load the car up for a gig these days I put 8 pieces in the boot and the list price is just north of £9k.

To balance things up, I had one bass for 25 years and two basses for the next 10 years. It's been up and down since joining BC but I'm back to two basses again so I don't think I'm too extravagant.

Cost or value?

My six working basses cost me just over £3k altogether. A couple are unreplaceable, but replacement cost for comparable quality would be about £7.5k total. Not that I expect my insurance company to believe that if it came to it.

Then there's my beloved vintage EB2 living with my son in Nashville, which Mr Josie will never know about - £2k.

There's only about another £1k in other stuff. Can't justify the MarkBass rig I really want, and firmly resisting getting into pedals.

So, pretty modest really, and (apart from the MarkBass) all I want.

Why do people feel the need to lie to their partners about the cost of their gear?

Double bass, two bows £20k

4 electric basses, amps, cabs, pedals, recording gear, mics etc probably £10k

Too much? No, I know musicians with far more money sunk into gear, and many more basses that never get played...

48 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

All I'm going to say is that there have been times when the combined value of all the musical equipment (Guitars, Basses, Keyboards and Recording Equipment) I owned exceeded that of my home...

To be fair though I briefly lived in a 1 bed flat in Great Yarmouth and  at that point there were petrol station sandwiches with a value that exceeded that of my home :D.

• Like 1

I'm at €600 at the moment. When I started playing bass I set up a spreadsheet with what I was getting and its price. It also helped keeping track of the trading hobby.

To be fair I gave up most of the pedals (I'm enjoying a lot going straight to the amp right now, let's see how long that lasts) and I'm missing a cab also (still have to source the Beyma for the BC12"). Not counting cables either.

Only about £900 for me, and that includes one guitar and 2 basses, a small guitar amp, and 5 pedals.

I occasionally show my Wife pics of Dingwalls and while she agrees the colours are impressive, does give me the eyebrow that suggests I would not be wise to even consider buying something that approaches half the value of my car.

• Like 1