Why become a member? ×

Double Bass For Beginner

Linus27

Currently playing in a 50s and 60s rock and roll band and a lot of the original bass was played on a double bass. We are doing a fair few acoustic gigs and I fancy dabbling into playing some of these songs on DB. I am a total newbie and don't fancy spending a fortune and have no idea what I should be looking for. So can anyone recommend some good beginner double basses. A Squire of the double bass world if that even exists. I see Thomman do so double basses, no idea if any good though.

Thanks for the advice. 

Edited by Linus27

I have a Gedo Linus that will be at the bash, there are a few ofus  on here with them, great company to deal with and much better than anything ebayesque! 

http://www.gedo-musik.de/shop/en/double-bass-plywood/80-kontrabass-schwarz-matt-komplett-laminiert-34-und-44-groesse-neu-4260227041453.html

This is a fully plywood one which I would have no worries about buying from them, I have a half carved and I think Bilbo has a fully carved one?

Even this ply one has an ebony fingerboard as opposed to ebonized (painted black!) and decent tirolean tuners.

Get along to the bash and fuel your gas even more :D

This one is the same as mine

http://www.gedo-musik.de/shop/en/double-bass-half-carved/20-kontrabass-34-braunmatt-lackiert-halbmassiv-neu-4260227044935.html

but I have the glossy violin finish that they haven't got listed at the moment, same bass though with De Gamba sides and solid spruce top, stripey maple back and sides, ebony tail and fingerboard, I had Spirocores fitted by them at the German factory along with an adjustable bridge which would buy you a decent Squier bass alone, Lol

Edited by stingrayPete1977

Thanks for the advice everyone. I can't make the bash as I'm out gigging which is annoying as it would of been perfect for me.

That Gedo looks really nice. When I'm ready then this is probably what I would look to get if you guys recommend them.

The Zellar looks great as well but I need to do some saving so will probably be gone by the time I'm ready later in the year.

Edited by Linus27

33 minutes ago, Sandy 5 said:

I have a Stagg EUB that I picked up for about £300. I also have no real idea for the best go tos of this instrument, but I've used it on a couple of acoustic gigs and it plays fairly well. Might be an option for you?

Thanks Sandy, I had a Stagg EUB many years back but I really fancy acoustic DB for the tone and visuals. Thanks for the suggestion though.

46 minutes ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

Ah bit far away to try my Gedo out as I'm in Staffordshire,  let me know if you're passing though and I'll pop the kettle on :)

Ah, thanks Pete, that's very kind of you and will do. Would be good to meet you as well. Happy Jack has also offered to show me his DB so grateful to you both.

Keep your eye on the marketplace here
Also, re that Zellar bass selling - perhaps it will have sold, by the time you have saved enough cash
... but DB's tend not to be as fast selling as some bass guitars - so you never know - keep your eye on it,
or at least message the seller and register your interest....

Good luck with your search