Why become a member? ×

Gp11 Preamp

vlad335

Solid state - got one here. Pretty warm, very flexible...bit hissy by modern standards..just don't use the pre-shape. Mine is a two rack-unit case, but the mounting holes don't line up so it only fits in a three space rack case. No idea why, but something to check out?

Thanks for the replies!

I don't think I am going to buy the GP11 preamp but I was scouring the local Guitar Center and found these.

Two old Trace Elliot cabs that I got for a steal. they were sitting there for months and were not selling due to the ohms being mismatched. The bottom cab is a 8ohm 18" that I don't know the model of.( The info is worn off on the back plate) and the top is a 1044H. These go quite nicely with my early 90's SWR Big Ben and the Alembic F1-X.

Very nice! Biamping with the crossover at 70hz and I can drive the daylights out of them and they will not break up. Beautiful sound in the low mids that I never quite heard before and the highs are clear and effortless. Not harsh like a lot of horns. Of course, two 18's move some serious air and I got lowend to spare. Can't wait to get this to rehearsal!

[quote name='vlad335' post='334751' date='Nov 23 2008, 10:32 AM']Thanks for the replies!

I don't think I am going to buy the GP11 preamp but I was scouring the local Guitar Center and found these.

Two old Trace Elliot cabs that I got for a steal. they were sitting there for months and were not selling due to the ohms being mismatched. The bottom cab is a 8ohm 18" that I don't know the model of.( The info is worn off on the back plate) and the top is a 1044H. These go quite nicely with my early 90's SWR Big Ben and the Alembic F1-X.

Very nice! Biamping with the crossover at 70hz and I can drive the daylights out of them and they will not break up. Beautiful sound in the low mids that I never quite heard before and the highs are clear and effortless. Not harsh like a lot of horns. Of course, two 18's move some serious air and I got lowend to spare. Can't wait to get this to rehearsal![/quote]

I think TE used to call the 18" boxes the 1818. The naming convention (roughly) was 18 (18") 1 (1 speaker) 8 (8 ohms). The other speaker box you picked up is 10 (10") 4 (4 speakers) 4 (4 ohms) H (horn). This doesn't work with all their cabinets, but it's a good place to start.

As the other guys said, the GP11 was solid state. Awesome preamp, very highly regard when it first came out.