Why become a member? ×

Marshall B25MKII Bass Amp

Triumph_Rock

Hello everyone

I have the chance to buy a Marshall B25MKII Bass Amp for a good price. I'm new to learning bass and don't have a lot of money to spend. I asked some questions on the condition of the amp.

I just wanted to check with you guys what you think on the condition of the amp. I've been told all the effects work fine, but there is a buzz when the treble is turned up to 10. That there is a slight faint crackle when the volume is turned up of down, adjusted, but doesn't seem to be consistent. Both the inputs work. He didn't test the headphone out jack socked as didn't have headphones the right size.

So is what the seller describes a deal breaker, and I should walk away. Or is that normal for that amp?

Dave 

The crackle is usually caused by a dirty pot. Can be an easy fix or it may need replaced which might cost more than the amp is worth if you get a shop to repair.  

I owned one of these in the past but I wouldn`t buy one again. What is a good price? I sold mine for about £25 a couple of years ago.

What kind of budget do you have? I think the Fender Rumble amps are a good bit better than the Marshall if you can stretch to one of them.

Edited by jezzaboy

Thanks for the reply Jezza

Well I'm currently the highest bidder at £11, but there is a £20 postage cost. I'm handy with tools, as I work with machinery as part of my job. Granted not electrics very often. I have sorted out electrics before on a motorbike..I've just googled about this. I do think this is something that I potentially sort out, I'm going to try to find the schematics for a Marshall B25 amp, and see what I think. If I think its to difficult for me to do, then I wont purchase it.

Dave

I had one of these too, and wouldn't buy another. Pots will almost certainly be fixed straight onto the circuit board, difficult to repair. Usually when these go wrong the best solution is to throw them away and buy another. I'd walk away, there are plenty of options for cheap practice amps.