Why become a member? ×

Paint job - recommendations please

Marky L

Hi all!

I'm in the process of putting a bitsa fretless P bass together (nearly have everything now) and I really could do with some recommendations of who/where it could get it painted. I particularly want either a strong glitter or maybe a flake finish, just a single base colour. I struggle even working out which end of a paintbrush is which so it's not a job I can do!
I'm in Bournemouth so south coast would be great but shipping isn't an issue. I'm more than happy to put it all together after so it's just paint really.
Ta muchly
Mark

I’m in the same boat myself, and I’m coming to the conclusion that in my bid to keep costs low I’m going to do it myself. 

There are heaps of tutorials on You Tube (some good, some not so good...) but look up Brad Angrove. His channel is very informative. It mightn’t be as off-putting as you think it is.

Edited by PaulGibsonBass

Having sprayed stuff with rattle cans before, I would get anything new I wanted doing sprayed professionally. 

By the time I'd organised a suitable dust-free space to do the spraying in, bought the paint and ancillary equipment like masks/ventilators etc. and spent the time spraying and sanding many times before I got I even close to a finish that I would be happy with, I might as well have paid for a proper professional job.

Martin Sims has done the finish on 2 of my basses, and I wouldn't hesitate to use him again. 

18 hours ago, PaulGibsonBass said:

I’m in the same boat myself, and I’m coming to the conclusion that in my bid to keep costs low I’m going to do it myself. 

There are heaps of tutorials on You Tube (some good, some not so good...) but look up Brad Angrove. His channel is very informative. It mightn’t be as off-putting as you think it is.

Thanks I will check out the YT channel. It could be the start of learning a new skill!

17 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Having sprayed stuff with rattle cans before, I would get anything new I wanted doing sprayed professionally. 

By the time I'd organised a suitable dust-free space to do the spraying in, bought the paint and ancillary equipment like masks/ventilators etc. and spent the time spraying and sanding many times before I got I even close to a finish that I would be happy with, I might as well have paid for a proper professional job.

Martin Sims has done the finish on 2 of my basses, and I wouldn't hesitate to use him again. 

Thanks for the link, I've had a look and realised that this is going to be a costly operation, but I do want it to be right. Still, maybe if I do have a go myself I could video it and the ensuing comedic mess could become a viral hit!