Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Bass Amp fading in and out

petetexas

Last night my Carvin bass head started fading in and out while doing the sound check .

Luckily , I always carry a spare . After the sound check with the spare , I went back to the Carvin and it worked for the rest of the gig with no problem .

Cleaned all the sockets , checked all the leads .....all seems ok .....ran it for about on hour this morning ......ok 

Anyone got any ideas as to the cause ?

Pete

Edited by petetexas

I had the same problem with my Ampeg sv200t. I took it to Surrey amps, who did a major refurb...but it still happened..they took it back checked it again and said there's nothing wrong with it??

To this day it still does it..but I've noticed that it does it if I haven't usd it for a few weeks. ....if I use it regularly it seems to sort itself out, and sounds great.

No idea why that happens...

Monday I cleaned ( switch cleaner on a spare jack , inserted in /out ) on all the sockets on amp - front and back .

It has been running for almost a total of 6 hours ( with and without bass being used ).............NO cut in / out or fading  ..........:dash1:

I will see on next gig ( in 2 weeks time ) 

Pete

Did you clean the send/return sockets too, as they can be  the culprits, especially if you don't use them as your effects loop. 

Literally today I was informed that I had  remotely "fixed" a Marshall ValveState by  suggesting he put a patch  lead in send/return  loop. Amp whisperer, anyone? :)

Carvin has not cut in / out / faded at all for a week . Just to be on the safe side , I have taken it to a Amp tech for a full service . Told him what had been happening - straight away he said it was probably dust etc on the contacts .