Why become a member? ×

Any difference - 2 heads better than 1?

andrewrx7

Bear with me, it may be a daft idea but I need someone to say it is!

Current gear: TE 300w @4ohms head + 400w 4x10 cab (8ohm) + 300w 1x15w cab (8ohm).

I wish to buy a 2nd head as a back up. Now I was thinking of getting one with say around 500w @ 4ohms (Hartke LH500 for example, or Peavey Tour 450) for a bit more head room, esp when cranking the system up. I get a little nervous running the head up at around 8 in some places. So in large places that require that bit extra, I was thinking about the larger head.

To the question: would there be any advantage in using both heads so having 1 cab per head, rather than running both cabs off of one head (in larger venues)? Does anyone do this, and if so, are there any benefits?

Cheers!

Back in the Olden Days...................... :huh:

[attachment=16099:My_Pictu...date_063.jpg]

You can see to the right of the picture what I had to use for Live work. I had the Peavey Amp powering the 2x15" Cab, with a 'slave output' to the Marshall Amp, which in turn powered the pair of 4x12" Cabs. It was the only way (at the time) that I could be heard at more or less the same volume as the Guitarist. :) Give it a bash, it could be the answer to all your problems. :huh:

(edit for stupid typo) :huh:

Edited by BigAlonBass

[quote name='BigAlonBass' post='331357' date='Nov 18 2008, 11:18 AM']Back in the Olden Days...................... :huh:

[attachment=16099:My_Pictu...date_063.jpg]

You can see to the right of the picture what I had to use for Live work. I had the Peavey Amp powering the 2x15" Cab, with a 'slave output' to the Marshall Amp, which in turn powered the pair of 4x12" Cabs. It was the only way (at the time) that I could be heard at more or less the same volume as the Guitarist. :) Give it a bash, it usually helps. :huh:[/quote]
Is that a Mark IV Peavey? Best bass amps ever.

Not sure about that to be honest, haven't had much experience with it.
It's obvious that different amps will create different sounds, so try different combinations.
Another thing to remember that wattage doesn't always accurately tell the volume. I've played some 300W cabs that are louder than some 450's [;
Aaand remember (ehehe) the whole impedance thing when using more than one cab with one head. If you do use two cabs, and you do end up having to turn it up to volume 8 or so, it'll be louder than using one cab at volume 8 [;

[quote name='johnnylager' post='331362' date='Nov 18 2008, 11:22 AM']Is that a Mark IV Peavey? Best bass amps ever.[/quote]

Yes it was. and it was. Unfortunately, it got nicked out of the back of the van when the roadies were "chatting" to a couple of nubile females. They soon became ex-roadies. :)

There was an article about this in bassist some years ago where it suggested using a second amp, after a crossover, to take the highs. They did some work using a guitar amp to take the highs, as you dont need such high power for highs as lows.

bit like a pa where they run more power to the subs. We have an active crossover and then 1200 for the subs and 700 for the tops