Why become a member? ×

Best 5 string for £400?

karlbbb

In the coming weeks I'll be after a new bass (if and when I manage to get my iMac sold, see sig :) ), and I'm giving myself up to around £400 to spend. I'm after a bass that gives a nice smooth tone, but also the option of a bit of treble for a couple of more upbeat numbers my band does (again, see sig if you wanna have a listen and maybe make suggestions from that). I really like Mike Kroegers tone, especially in some of the slower Nickelback numbers ('Photograph' and 'Someday' come to mind). I know Mike uses Spector but they're a bit out of the price range.

It'll be run into a BBE OptoStomp and a DHA VT1-EQ-Bass-Drive. I have my eye on the Ibanez SR505, and that comes in at just a fraction under £400. I could get a Warwick Rockbass Corvette 5 for £400 too.

A really nice B string is a must as I have a few stand out notes in some of our new songs, and I really need a nice B.

Let the suggestions fly!

Cheers,
Karl.

Edited by karlbbb

I have an Ibby 505, a Rockbass Streamer 5(passive) and a Rockbass Corvette 5(active) that I got as a gift from a friend that bought it out of necessity and 1 month later upgraded to a second hand Alembic, so it was as good as new. I have played them A LOT during the last 6 years.

The best B string BY FAR, hands down, is the passive Streamer Standard. Ugly as hell, I know, but in fact this bass has not only the best 5th string out of the three, but the best 5th string I have ever heard under the 1500 pounds price tag: Tight as hell, crystal clear, perfect definition, even its volume is very well balanced with the E string, you know most 5stringers tend to kick vumeters horribly hard when playing the B string and not much at all when playing the rest of the strings... This is not the case.

You can forget about the Rockbass corvette, at least the active version I have (there is a passive version out there I have never played) the 5th string is dark and muddy, at least compared to the Streamer one. The EQ and general tone are harsh. It sits in my wardrobe collecting dust most of the time, and only play it at home these days, unplugged.

The Ibby 505 has a very decent tone and I tend to play it the most, not because its sound, but due to its weight and ergonomics: Very light, good balance and a wonderful thin neck. The EQ has a neutral sound on its middle position that I can live with, though if you add some gain the tone becomes unreal (in a bad sense), specially the highs.

If you are looking after the best sound in that price tag and can live with its aesthetics, try the Rockbass Streamer Standard and be prepared for a HUGE surprise. Every day I play that bass I get a stupid smile in my face while wondering how such a cheapass bass can sound sooo good, specially the 5th string. Heck, even if you hate its looks as I do, you GOTTA try it!

"I could get a Warwick Rockbass Corvette 5 for £400 too."

Seriously, it's a buyers second-hand market at the moment - you can get a proper Warwick 5 string for less than £500! Don't go spending £400 on a Rockbass. Keep an eye out for Streamer LXs and Streamer Pro Ms. Also the cheaper Warwick Streamer Stds (pre-Rockbass, made in 2000) can be had for around £200.

Spectors can also be had at great prices. MythSte already posted this:- [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=30719"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=30719[/url] (The price is seems fair to me).

There's also a Lakland Skyline 55-01 going for £400 here: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=31960"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=31960[/url]

In short, you're spoilt for choice with £400 in your pocket in the current climate.

Edited by rjb

Can I suggest a few [u]principles[/u], rather than actual models? Forgive me if I'm telling you what you already know, but here goes...

1) [b]Buy used[/b]. Your budget will buy a bass that may have retailed at £800 to £1200, and if you find it doesn't turn out to be your dream axe, then you should get what you paid for it

2) Use your [b]research[/b] period wisely. You are already doing this by posting here, but watch various 5 stringers sell on eBay to get an idea of market price, plus go twang as many basses you can get your hands on (irrespective of price).

3) Be [b]open minded[/b]. Don't be swayed by brands or even price. I bought a spare 5 string for £100 recently, and it fits one band I'm in better than its more expensive rack-mates.

3) Determine [b]what spec[/b] is important. e.g. 34" or 35"? Humbucker style or single pole style? Active or Passive?

Good luck, and tell us what you plumped for in the end!

[quote name='Born 2B Mild' post='331495' date='Nov 18 2008, 02:40 PM']Can I suggest a few [u]principles[/u], rather than actual models? Forgive me if I'm telling you what you already know, but here goes...

1) [b]Buy used[/b]. Your budget will buy a bass that may have retailed at £800 to £1200, and if you find it doesn't turn out to be your dream axe, then you should get what you paid for it

2) Use your [b]research[/b] period wisely. You are already doing this by posting here, but watch various 5 stringers sell on eBay to get an idea of market price, plus go twang as many basses you can get your hands on (irrespective of price).

3) Be [b]open minded[/b]. Don't be swayed by brands or even price. I bought a spare 5 string for £100 recently, and it fits one band I'm in better than its more expensive rack-mates.

3) Determine [b]what spec[/b] is important. e.g. 34" or 35"? Humbucker style or single pole style? Active or Passive?

Good luck, and tell us what you plumped for in the end![/quote]

Some really good advice there. Especially buying used, as there are some amazing bargains to be had in the curent market.

[quote name='simon1964' post='331419' date='Nov 18 2008, 12:41 PM']In that price range, I would also have a look at the Ibanez ATK 305. The string spacing is wider than the Ibanez SR505 (which is a great bass by the way), and personally I find it much more comfortable to play.[/quote]

[quote name='barry44' post='331501' date='Nov 18 2008, 02:52 PM']Ibanez K5.

the older ones with the paduak/mahogany/paduak bodies are luvverly!![/quote]

[quote name='agoulding' post='331590' date='Nov 18 2008, 04:42 PM']i have the srx595 and its rather good[/quote]

you can't go wrong with ibanez IMO.

i play an ibanez SR500, but have played a SR505. they're absolutely amazing for the money, seriously. i can't say enough about how good they are, but basically they do anything. its my favourite bass in the world (favourite mass produced bass - i love my custom taitycaster more, but it was over twice the price!), i'd never sell it. ever. period. and i know if you read the ibanez thread, a lot of people love their SR500s and SR505s.

i've played my dad's (simon1964) ATK 5 string, again, brilliant. sounds a hell of a lot like a musicman, for a fraction of a price. my dad prefers the ATK sound to the musicman, whereas i prefer the musicman, but if im honest there's only a very slight difference between the two. i like a treblier sound than my dad, so the ATK's treble boost probably isn't as good or something, but its still the best musicman sound you're going to get without buying a musicman IMO. does a great P sound, too.

i also played an ibanez iceman bass when bass hunting a while ago. i seriously considered it, again an astonishing bass for the money, quite thumpy set flat, but with the EQ you can, again, get pretty much any sound you like. looks cool, too. especially those checked one.

if you read the ibanez lover's thread, most of them will agree that you really can't go wrong with an ibanez. even the cheaper ones are supposed to be excellent for their money.

[quote name='karlbbb' post='332573' date='Nov 19 2008, 07:38 PM']Hey all, thank you for all the suggestions. I've decided to go with a Spector Legend 5 in Dark Cherry. Again, thanks for all the input, now I just have to sell my damn iMac so I can afford to buy it![/quote]

Great choice on the Spector, but do bear in mind that you could get a second hand ReBop for the money you have. :)

Just bought a rebop 5 from fellow bass chatter Hyperbass,these are seriously good value instruments & within your price range,hopefuly someone will see your post & give you a PM,which is how I found mine.I had looked at corvettes & streamers previously & would pick the spector every time,best of luck in your quest,mike.

Edited by wrinkleygit

All I can say is:

*fap fap fap*
[attachment=16559:Photo_2.jpg]
[attachment=16560:Photo_3.jpg]

I don't have a decent camera, and I really don't think a camera could even capture the beauty of the finish on this bass. I can't put it down.

Big thanks to Darren and Chris at Bass Merchant
:) :huh: :wub: :wub: