Why become a member? ×

Robot Guitars

Cabal

I've just seen Gibson's "robot" guitars: [url="http://www.gibson.com/robotguitar/"]http://www.gibson.com/robotguitar/[/url]

Frankly i find them quite insulting and offensive. What a load of nonsense. :)

Cheers,

Jake M

Edited by Jake_M

Very interesting! Is there really any point in having tuning pegs on them at all I wonder? The one with the metallic green/blue finish looks gorgeous, I don't think I'd venture out on stage with one though for fear of being confused with a member of Spinal Tap or something.

Wasn't this mentioned before? Not sure if I'm having Deja vu or not.

There's no way that i'd ever buy one, What's the chance of a faulty system detuning you mid song? It's a lot of cash to save you about 15 seconds work every week or so. I think the problem is that it dosen't appear to be aimed at musicians (maybe this is what the OP meant by insulting) if your guitar keeps going out of tune then you'd replace the tuners. If you want to play many songs in different tunings then you'd tailor the set to minimise the downtime, or learn the songs in standard tuning. I don't think that anyone who can actually play the instrument would buy one, except maybe a few of the type who buy those tripple neck guitars or the bass/guitar-in-one. Very gimiky with no real value. I think that the people at Gibson are also looking for the next inovation (see PRoseBass's thread) Sorry guys but this ain't it.

[quote name='SteveO' post='331741' date='Nov 18 2008, 07:41 PM']There's no way that i'd ever buy one, What's the chance of a faulty system detuning you mid song? It's a lot of cash to save you about 15 seconds work every week or so. I think the problem is that it dosen't appear to be aimed at musicians (maybe this is what the OP meant by insulting)[/quote]
Yes indeed, that's what i meant. :)

Aha. I think I see what they are doing:

At the present we have the fantastic gibson Les Paul. One of my favourite rock guitars.

At the other end of the scale we have 'Guitar Hero'. a stupid plastic thing with a flipper and a couple of buttons.

Could this 'robot' guitar be the first step towards bringing the two of them closer together?

What's next, markers that light up chords in a certain key on the fretboard?

All tongue in cheek stuff but makes you think, dunnit?

Well, it could be useful. For instance, last gig, me and the guitarists needed to tune down to C#, which was easy enough for me because I had my second bass already tuned to it, but both of them needed to mess about for a minute, whereas a robot guitar you would just set it, then wait maybe 15/20 seconds which you could talk through. Theory is sound at least lol, practice could be a bit worse, but at Music Live, the guy demoing on the Gibson stand used it to great effect.
Zach

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='SteveO' post='334156' date='Nov 21 2008, 11:15 PM']:huh: That's been [url="http://www.fretlight.com/"]done already.[/url] :)[/quote]

The Fretlight video should be renamed 'how to look uncomfortable on video'.
Step1) Hold hands with yourself when talking.
step2) When you do talk move your hands up and down in a shaking motion.
Step3) Dress in cloths that neither you nor anyone you know would normally wear.
Step4) Tuck your t-shirt in.