Why become a member? ×

truss rod problems

joe_bass

Hey guys having a problem adjusting the truss rod on my stingray 5. It`s been buzzing around the 12th to 22nd fret, mainly on the a A string. Been loosening the truss rod but the difference is barely noticeable. Any suggestions as I wanna get it fixed? Thanks! Done this on the mobile so don`t know if will come out alright lol.

Surely loosening the truss rod will increase the amount of relief that the string tension will pull and therefore make any dusty end problems due to the bow in the neck worse?

Sight a line down the neck and check the relief. If that is the problem, then it sounds like you have too much - you need to tighten the truss rod in that case.

But like the burpster says, check it isn't other things too. The fact that it affects one string in particular means it's less likely that it's the neck as a whole.

Bear in mind also that necks can take time to settle in after truss rod adjustments.

Edited by neepheid

Followed the advice on www.musicman.com that said loosen it if it's buzzing all over the fretboard. I played around with the A saddle though & it seems to have fixed it now. Also loosening it off got rid of some buzzing around the 3rd fret etc on the E string, although the bass doesn't feel as nice to slap now. :)

• 2 weeks later...