Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Cubase SX - midi playback issue

3V17C

hmm - i don't delve into cubase too often but have started meddling again lately, recording audio etc is fine - however, there seems to be something up wit de midi!

i've imported a midi file of a song and all the tracks/parts etc are there but when i hit play i'm not getting any sound. the meter is registering that somethings playing and yes! my speakers are on! i'm guessing its something to do with the midi settings/bank/output.... any help on this?!... if i spark up a vst instrument that works fine..

ta in advance

c

Coull be one of a few things but I guess its to do with the settings you have in relation to MIDI in and MIDI out (the one that determines which device makes the noise - could be your internal soundcard, your VST instruments or an external module). I don't know what the different boxes are called tho' and am reluctant to confuse you. I am at work and don't have the manual handy to refer to for the correct terminology.

Can anyone else help?.

Are you using vst or an external keyboard?
is the midi outputs routed correctly?

I suspect that you want to play the PC own Gm sounds if so check the internal volume of the midi synth is not tuned down.
Control panel / sounds & audio devices / Audio tab Make sure it in on the G S or GN synth you want and then check the volume.

also check for stray solo or mutes.

Just check on each midi channel, you have the output set to where you want it to go. As ironside said, it sounds like you want the standard "onboard" GM sounds, so you can select that from the outputs available in cubase on each individual MIDI track. If the outputs are set to the GM synth (or whatever it's called on yours) and the GM synth is turned up in the windows mixer, and you have output on the level meters in cubase then......

Do you have more than one soundcard in there? If so which one do you have your speakers plugged into? Does it have a midi sound module (don't know the correct terms) of it's own?

I reckon it's your VST instruments, it's all well and good having midi on cubase, but midi is just a way of controlling something, not a sound. Have you set up a VST instrument?

If you don't know how to do that, press F11, choose a VST instrument, a synth or whatever. Then what you do is, select your midi track (the track itself, not the midi notes) and on the left should be a load of info and stuff, and among that there should be input: and output:. at this stage input doesn't matter, but select output and from the drop down menu select the instrument you just created. Then select the instrument track, and this time set the output to stereo out or whatever you want it to come out on. If you've selected a preset sound on the synth then it should make noise. If that's the problem of course, but i suspect that's what it may be.

^ yeah VST instruments work fine!

all very odd, seems that if i import a midi file straight in i get no audio BUT if i create an empty midi track first and THEN import the midi file in everything is fine and dandy despite the created midi track having nothing to do with all the imported ones. how queer! anyways - sorted - cheers..

peace

c