Why become a member? ×

Precision Bass E String Tension Issue

olliedf89

If this bass is brand new,  Ollie, why don't you take/send it back and make this the problem of the folk who sold it to you?

It's crazy if you're having to buy new bridges and otherwise throw money and the bass, simply to make it do what it should do already straight out of the box.

• Like 1

One thing to bear in mind is that if using a small practice amp at home these don`t usually do the E string justice. I find this with my Precisions - if I get the E string sounding as "ringy" and full on my little practice amps, take it to rehearsal with full rig and it`s overbearingly dominant.

7 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

One thing to bear in mind is that if using a small practice amp at home these don`t usually do the E string justice. I find this with my Precisions - if I get the E string sounding as "ringy" and full on my little practice amps, take it to rehearsal with full rig and it`s overbearingly dominant.

True, but is this the same amp that the Op has been using to play all the other basses that have been ok?

Something here doesn't add up, but throwing money at a new bass isn't a good strategy.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Grangur said:

If this bass is brand new,  Ollie, why don't you take/send it back and make this the problem of the folk who sold it to you?

It's crazy if you're having to buy new bridges and otherwise throw money and the bass, simply to make it do what it should do already straight out of the box.

I'd like to... I ordered it via a friend at GAK about 6+ months ago... the setup was atrocious when I got it so just kept fiddling and assumed the problem was me as I had the problem with a previous Squier P, but yeah if I could, I'd send it back and look into Lakland or Maryusczyk probably. But never mind!

6 minutes ago, Grangur said:

True, but is this the same amp that the Op has been using to play all the other basses that have been ok?

Something here doesn't add up, but throwing money at a new bass isn't a good strategy.

This ^^ 3/4/5 other basses are all fine through the practice amp, plus the problem is even more pronounced through my 4x10. It's less noticeable through a small amp. While the sound is definitely noticeable to me, it's more about playing it physically that bothers me. Keeps me up at night! Haha.

I think ultimately the thing that bothers me is that I have numerous basses that are popular and unpopular and I've never had an unsolvable problem with them, yet as soon as I buy one of the most usable and common basses in the world, it has a problem that can't be fixed simply. I find it hard to believe that arguably the most popular bass in the world is the hardest to live with. So I guess I have to work with what I've got!

• Sad 1

IMHO you can't go wrong quality or price-wise with a Wilkinson bridge with brass saddles. Got them on two Precisions and they enhance the tone and even everything out nicely.

(And NO,  I have no affiliation with Wilkinson whatsoever before you ask!! They just supply really decent gear at nice prices).

16 hours ago, LITTLEWING said:

IMHO you can't go wrong quality or price-wise with a Wilkinson bridge with brass saddles. Got them on two Precisions and they enhance the tone and even everything out nicely.

(And NO,  I have no affiliation with Wilkinson whatsoever before you ask!! They just supply really decent gear at nice prices).

Nice one, thanks buddy I'll have a look!

So I got my new Fender Hi-Mass IV bridge today (props to Thomann for such quick delivery from the EU, not that I wanted to admit it!!!) I did search for some other options such as Wilkinson or my previously used Northwest guitars bridge, but the ones I wanted weren't in stock and this bridge was less than £40 including delivery, so I thought sod it why not, I'd read great things.

Anyway, I put it on about 30 minutes ago, and without really adjusting it, it already feels waayyyy better than my previous bridge. Dare I say it, I feel like the tone has improved as well, but maybe I've had too much coffee and am overexcited. 

Won't count my chickens just yet but I think I've got where I wanted to get! As you can see the string balls (pro term doncha know) sit further back on the hi mass VS the original bbot, I think that has properly increased the tension as I was hoping, so fingers crossed this fixed it.

Thanks for everyone's help! 

IMG_20180214_153804.jpg

I read this thread with great interest as I have noticed a similar problem with my Sandberg JM5 (tuned E-C). It was great to see all the potential fixes documented here so a personal thanks to all those who contributed. I may very well go down the route of a hi-mass bridge too. I see you went with the Fender one, so just wondering what people's thoughts are regarding alternatives? Anything particularly recommended or advised to stay away from? Cheers.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, uzzell said:

I read this thread with great interest as I have noticed a similar problem with my Sandberg JM5 (tuned E-C). It was great to see all the potential fixes documented here so a personal thanks to all those who contributed. I may very well go down the route of a hi-mass bridge too. I see you went with the Fender one, so just wondering what people's thoughts are regarding alternatives? Anything particularly recommended or advised to stay away from? Cheers.

Ah glad it helped! Thank god it wasn't just me!

I chose the Fender hi mass purely because it was an almost identical physical replacement as far as screw holes and string spacing, then the reviews and price just backed it up. So that's my silly reasoning, just so happens it has reallyyyy improved the bass as well as fixing an issue.

Lots of people have recommended me in the past just try simple bog standard ones. I bought a cheap bridge for about £20 for my other bass and it's great! 

I'm sure other people will have some much better suggestions, mind!