Why become a member? ×

So I stumbled upon something.....

donslow

Not strictly guitar related but.....I thought a moment of sly genius was worth sharing....

a few weeks ago I noticed I had an insane amount of wood stored in the shed, noticing I had basses and guitars strewn in every corner of the house I decided to try and make some racks on a budget.

fast forward some planning, cutting, drilling I have three racks in which to hold most of my guitars.

the kids kept pulling them out so I had to think of something to keep them "locked" into the racks

moment of genius incoming, I had some spare straps and strap locks, so I decided to screw the buttons into the rack and use the strap as a lock, ok maybe not THAT genius but for me, it was a good idea

so for any budding guitar rack makers, this works very well on a budget if you have a couple of spare strap locks

The racks still need a lick of paint and finishing but here's the idea

498534F6-8AE2-4E94-B1C3-86389B9683C5.jpeg

BC657EA4-0319-4DD0-BA8C-F57095FD9CE0.jpeg

7BFB395E-89DD-4E5B-8522-873C077842F6.jpeg

1DCD80C3-0E21-4323-888E-FEC9C8EF6D16.jpeg

• Like 1

Looks absolutely brilliant, but excuse me for being a killjoy, the only scary thing there is that various compositions of rubbers and foams can very slowly affect the cellulose finish on guitars in close contact over time. A lot of modern man made chemicals and compounds can play havoc with finishes. Somewhere or other I recall someone putting a new lining of some description in their guitar case using a strong glue and a while after storing their beloved wood, wire and metal string second love in there were horrified to find the lacquer crazing and lifting away from the wood......