Wal specs

LewisK1975

On 1/31/2018 at 08:14, Monkey Steve said:

Here are our standard 5-string dimensions:
>
>Neck width @ nut= 46.7mm and @ 24th fret = 71.5mm/2.82''
>Neck depth @ 2nd fret =21.9mm/0.86'' and @ 12th = 24.18/0.95''
>Bridge saddle center spacing = 17mm/0.67''

This is almost identical to my thru-neck Warwick (that is extremely slim and fast) - a mm or two out at most, so I'm very happy.  Does make me wonder if it's my perception that the old Wals were chunkier because of how it felt at the top end, or if they were just made chunkier, either back in the day or for a particular order.

Steve, you arent imagining it from the old days. I have a '86 5 string which indeed has a clubby neck, and I also got two new Mk3 5 strings delivered in 2016 with specified neck profiles. Looking at those specs you posted are the current 5 specs, then it looks like Paul has slimmed the neck a hair since he a few years ago. In early 2015 when I ordered mine he said the thickness at the 2nd fret was 23mm. I went with a thickness of 21 and less of a V shape. So if he changed the standard to 21.9, isnt bad! 

I've been contemplating sending my '86 neck in for a refret and knock down the V to bring it to 21mm as well, but the frets are still in good shape. 

As for 4 string necks; I've had two new ones, and I really feel Paul's 4 string profile is slimmer than my old Wals. My last Mk1 ('86) was really chunky.

Edited by mikeswals
  • Thanks 1