Why become a member? ×

Raidal Bigshot I/O "true bypass"

bluesparky

Hi guys (and gals!) i'm looking for an input switcher / selector.
I want two inputs and also i'd like to be able to adjust the levels of each input individually - i have an active and passive bass so i'd like to be able to adjust the levels so they're the same when they enter my effects chain etc.

I've spotted [url="http://www.tonebone.com/re-bigshot-io.htm"]this[/url] which seems to do the trick, but i was wondering whether anyone has any experience with it?

I've already got a Boss line selector, but that doesn't quite do the job - the knobs are easily knocked on my one and sends the levels all over the place.
I was thinking about getting a tonebone - price isn't the issue - but it doesn't quite fit onto my pedal board, unless i sacrifice another pedal, which is something i don't really want to do.

Or, is there another similar product out on the market?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

[quote name='bluesparky' post='330025' date='Nov 16 2008, 11:23 AM']Hi guys (and gals!) i'm looking for an input switcher / selector.
I want two inputs and also i'd like to be able to adjust the levels of each input individually - i have an active and passive bass so i'd like to be able to adjust the levels so they're the same when they enter my effects chain etc.

I've spotted [url="http://www.tonebone.com/re-bigshot-io.htm"]this[/url] which seems to do the trick, but i was wondering whether anyone has any experience with it?

I've already got a Boss line selector, but that doesn't quite do the job - the knobs are easily knocked on my one and sends the levels all over the place.
I was thinking about getting a tonebone - price isn't the issue - but it doesn't quite fit onto my pedal board, unless i sacrifice another pedal, which is something i don't really want to do.

Or, is there another similar product out on the market?

Thanks in advance,

Mark[/quote]
Hi Mark,

For the same reasons as you, I'm about to get one this week (due to arrive in the post any day now).. So hopefully I will be able to tell you more when it arrives.. Looks like a very good piece of kit to me, especially for the price!

Nik

I use a Radial Bigshot I/O all the time.

It's a solidly well-built , neat-sized metal box (about 4" x 3") which fits neatly on my pedalboard. So it's slightly smaller than most stomp boxes.

One of the inputs has a "dim" switch that allows you to equalize the output levels of your basses, so the idea is that you put your most powerful bass through the input with the "dim" switch. There's also a dedicated Tuner out and a mute switch so you can tune up in silence between songs.

I actually replaced my Bassbone with this. The Bassbone was a great piece of kit but I really didn't need all the extra tone-shaping facilities or another effects loop. It was also bloody heavy whereas the I/O is passive so much lighter. It's also completely silent in operation.

They're not too cheap compared with the likes of the Boss switcher but I reckon you could jump up and down on it 'til kingdom come and it wouldn't break.

Go for it!

[quote name='woodster' post='330517' date='Nov 17 2008, 11:13 AM']I've heard nothing but good things about Lehle...

[url="http://www.lehle.com/frameset.php?country=other&lang=en&A_Link=products"]http://www.lehle.com/frameset.php?country=...A_Link=products[/url][/quote]
I'd not heard of them before, the [url="http://www.lehle.com/frameset.php?country=other&lang=en&A_Link=products"]3 at 1[/url] looks good.
Dammit! too many options now...

[quote name='bluesparky' post='330695' date='Nov 17 2008, 02:39 PM']Call me dense, but i never thought of that![/quote]

It's not dense!

It just seems, if you already have a pedal that will do the job, and it fits on your board - why spend more money? You could fashion a cover to protect the knobs, or you could pull them off and file down the poles to make them more like trim pots.

[quote name='bluesparky' post='330481' date='Nov 17 2008, 10:30 AM']Nice one, cheers Nik, hope it turns out ok for you.[/quote]
Hi Mark

Got a chance to check it out yesterday and it's a great piece of kit, really solid and well-made and it looks good too.

Within two minutes of using it I managed to balance up the output levels on my Roscoe Beck V string, which has a really low output, with my Wal Pro2e which has a really high output.. Something that's been frustrating me for a long time at gigs.

A couple of really nice features on it are the 'bright' switch, which adds a bit of zing back to your sound if the reduction in output levels affects the top end of your louder bass. Plus the Mute feature and Tuner out make it a very versatile addition to your pedalboard.

The only tiny niggle I have about it is that whilst it says it's 'true bypass', I'm not absolutely 100% sure that it is. To me, there's a small but detectable difference that it makes to your sound.. However, it's such a small difference (mainly in the top end) that you'd never notice it in a gig situation..

Overall, I think it's fantastic value for the money! :)

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='331927' date='Nov 18 2008, 10:45 PM']Hi Mark

Got a chance to check it out yesterday and it's a great piece of kit, really solid and well-made and it looks good too.

Within two minutes of using it I managed to balance up the output levels on my Roscoe Beck V string, which has a really low output, with my Wal Pro2e which has a really high output.. Something that's been frustrating me for a long time at gigs.

A couple of really nice features on it are the 'bright' switch, which adds a bit of zing back to your sound if the reduction in output levels affects the top end of your louder bass. Plus the Mute feature and Tuner out make it a very versatile addition to your pedalboard.

The only tiny niggle I have about it is that whilst it says it's 'true bypass', I'm not absolutely 100% sure that it is. To me, there's a small but detectable difference that it makes to your sound.. However, it's such a small difference (mainly in the top end) that you'd never notice it in a gig situation..

Overall, I think it's fantastic value for the money! :)[/quote]

Great, thanks for that Nik, will prob end up going for one now, i like the bright switch idea, will come in handy for what i've got in mind.
Cheers.