Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Compression with Synths?

Mr.T

Over the past few years, I have owned and sold several 'multis' (Line6, GT6b) and have always found that the synths and octavers dropped in and out.
I am now in the process of setting up my new Korg AX300b, and although I don't use synths I noticed when messing about at home that I am having the same issue with the Korg.

Then I noticed that if I hit the strings really hard (for me) the synths and the envelope filters worked.
Ok, I thought... I must have a very light touch (not something I have ever realised before).

Then I thought...

Would running a compressor (to boost the signal) before synth/octave/envelope effects be a good idea?

If you're going to use a compressor, its probably a good idea to make sure you don't use extreme compression settings. The raised gain will result in a raised noise floor and may create false triggers when you're not actually playing notes.

The Line6 and the GT6b get very mixed reviews on their synth sections.
Some people seem to rave about them and others state that they simply don't work
... I fell into the latter category.

Hence, I have been thinking "Is this an input signal level issue?"

(E-Bow... could be interesting?)

[quote name='BassManKev' post='329594' date='Nov 15 2008, 11:12 AM']running a synth before a filter is never a good idea as the filter wont respond to your dynamics. Why not just a clean boost pedal[/quote]

The filter won't really do anything in front of the oscillator though? I have good results running various filters after a synth, providing your synth can reproduce dynamics or you can control it with an LFO.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='329738' date='Nov 15 2008, 05:31 PM']I tend to use compression after the synth pedal to even out any cone-blowing peaks[/quote]

Yeah I stick a limiter after my filters, but I've been thinking of putting a compressor in my Meatwad's FX loop, right before my OC-2 and Pulse Synth, see if it slows the decay a bit. I'll do a very scientific comparison if someone wants to give me a Compulator. :)