Why become a member? ×

Wizard pickups - Trad vs Thumper

rasher80

Thought i'd throw this one out to you knowledgeable folks out there...

OK. so while i'm waiting to offload my Ric 4004L (LH!), i decided to start modding my Squier P bass which i am currently using as my first choice. I'll probably throw a badass II on there at some point, but first off i wanted to change the P pickup which i use almost exclusively, and having heard nothing but praise for Wizard pickups, i want to plump for them.

I've never heard one of the pickups in a bass, so i'm kind of unsure. I presume trad does what it says on the tin - and the thumper delivers a rumble a bit beefier than that. Anyone shed any light on this?

I'm leaning towards the trad, as the pickups in my Ric pack some serious punch, but it isn't classic P bass obviously. It is deep though, when i solo'd the neck pickup i could seriously get things to fall off the tops of other amps, tables etc!

So whaddaya reckon? anyone had any experience with these?

I phoned Andy, talked through what I was after and what I currently used and he sorted it out EXACTLY.

Based on this, he built me a prototype "Area 51 Stealth" (a new model based on a "souped up" Thumper) for my Fender MIA 62 Reissue Precision. High output, loads of mids, a good top end and some "air" in the tone were the important requirements as all my other gear is active and I wanted some parity with the output levels and tones of the other instruments. The top end articulation was quite important without sacrificing so much of the traditional "thump" of the Precision.

As it was going into a Reissue vintage vibed Fender, he also "relic'd" up the covers and polepieces a little to make it look more authentic. Great detail!

Give him a call. I think everyone will agree that Andy ALWAYS goes well out of his way to give you what you want. That, added to the fact that they're such amazing quality, great value and made here in the UK.

T

Edited by tonyf