Why become a member? ×

kodiakblair

It was actually Monday but I've been busy :biggrin: The other week @Billy Apple had 2 Wishbasses up for sale and I've hankered after a Wishbass for a while. If you're unaware of Wishbass they're made in the US by Steve Wishnevsky,he's quite a character :) With strong beliefs on bass building his motto is "paintbrushes for musicians, some think this just means tools to make music ! Personally I think it means " you add the colour".  Steve uses locally sourced timber,doesn't believe in truss rods,isn't keen on frets,doesn't do fancy finishes and offers a very limited choice in pickups.Definitely not the man to see for your dream fanned fret ERB.

He also charges $100 per string !! That's right a 5 strng will cost $500,check ebay as he often has sales on.

So strong beliefs and limited choices. What does that get you ? For a start,and I'm sure Billy will agree, you don't get some refined instrument with a finish shined on the thighs of dusky maidens :D You get a bass in it's rawest form. Mainly wood, strings and a pickup.No tone control,Steve's also not keen on active preamp.It'll have rough patches,unfilled holes,splits packed with filler,a corian nut & bridge. Sounds terrible right ? Why would anyone buy something cobbled together in somebody's shed,there was a fire couple of year back destroyed the shed so Steve's in a new workshop now.

So why buy one ? Cause they're great :) Just you and a bass.They have really thick necks but strangely it's comfortable. The maple weighs 6.5lb and the bloodwood 8.5lb. I've never owned a single cut before and reckon I'm off to a good start. They have the "mwah" and sustain thing going on. Not sure what Billy strung the bloodwood with but the maple now has La Bella flats.

I'm well chuffed  :biggrin:

4xQ5fqwb.jpg

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

I find these bizarrely appealing. 

They definitely have charm. Since Stephen dosn't use CNC machines and a habit for using reclaimed wood no 2 are ever the same. I've heard from a good few other owners via the FB page and some of his other basses really are cracking,the Lobes & Scarabs are his bread & butter models :) That said I saw a gorgeous brazillian cherry Lobe,don't know how much time the owner put into it though.

That seems to be the secret. One fella I talked to trims his necks down with a spoke shave,from the little contact I've had with Steve W he supports this kind of thing. Had heard he was a bit of a grouch but I've found him pleasant enough and quick to answer questions.

If you're ever up this way give me a shout  so you can try one.