Why become a member? ×

Power

Kirky

We have a gig tonight, so its an opportune moment to ask what I imagine is a simple question...

I've been told in the past that it is better to run everything from a single power socket (PA, backline, keyboards etc), possibly excluding lights. My guitarist believes that it is safer to use as many sockets as possible as he is concerned that we might "overload" the single socket. This seems spurious to me, as they are all connected to the same circuit usually anyway. I suppose that might affect my argument too.

Does it matter?

Cheers,

Martin

You're both right for different reasons. By running everything from one socket, you reduce the possibility of different pieces of equipment having different earth potentials. This can arise from badly wired plugs/amps/etc and can lead to you getting a shock if, for example, you touch your guitar strings (which are connected through the amp to one earth potential) and a mic (which is connected through the PA to a different earth potential). The potential difference between the two can lead to a shock.

However, your guitarist is also right. Sockets, and more so those 4-way extension leads, are only rated for 13A of current. With a whole band set up plugged into a single socket there's a good chance you'll be exceeding that and may cause the extension lead will over-heat/melt/catch fire/etc.

The best bet is to plug everything into their own sockets, but make sure you use RCDs on everything. A wireless system between your guitar and amp also provides effective isolation, so use them if you have them. Also, if possible, use an earth tester to check the sockets before you play. Finally, if you or any of your band mates have been stupid enough to remove the earth wire from their amps (some people do it to reduce hum) give them a smack in the face for being an idiot and reconnect it.

[quote name='Kirky' post='328110' date='Nov 13 2008, 09:38 AM']Does it matter?[/quote]
Not really, as long as you don't go above 13A. Personally, I would use whatever is nearest and of course, whatever the venue has it's RCD on. :)

Reasons to get your own RCD / earth tester are [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=29759&hl=died"]here[/url].

[quote name='~tl' post='328136' date='Nov 13 2008, 09:09 AM']Finally, if you or any of your band mates have been stupid enough to remove the earth wire from their amps (some people do it to reduce hum) give them a smack in the face for being an idiot and reconnect it.[/quote]
In fact, why not give the guitarist a smack in the face anyway - just for the hell of it!! And 'cos he's a guitarist... :)

A choice would be nice. Most of the pubs we play only have one socket within reach and if we're lucky it doesn't already have a wide screen TV plugged into it. Some landlords seem quite upset that we need to use electricity. At Sunday's gig everything was buzzing like a bees' karaoke night, but of course "we had a band in last week and they didn't have a problem". I'm looking for a power conditioner - has anyone used a Samson Powerstrip, they seem very cheap?