Why become a member? ×

Stagg 80w

Little Dragon

Had a quick look around myself, and I don't think the socket is for an extension cab, otherise it'd be labelled as an output.  I can't find your precise model, but based upon other similar Stagg amps it's likely to be either a headphone output or an cd/mp3 input, meaning you can plug a cable into the amp to play practice tracks through it.  In either case, the socket is likely to be stereo jack. 

Any chance you could give us a photo, to be sure...?

Separately - whilst not wanting to confuse matters - an extension speaker could very feasibly be connected by a speaker cable terminated in standard sized mono jacks.  This is a common connection method for older or lower powered amplifiers to speakers.  Things didn't go Speakon (specifically for instrument amps) until relatively recently. 

However, nothing I could see on any Stagg bass amp suggested that an extension speaker was possible.  I expect the amp is running at it's lowest impedance anyway - so adding a cab would reduce impedance further.

Hope some (or any) of this is helpful to you.

Edited by Tonteee
  • Like 1

Slight error. The model is ca50b15 and I can't find a manual on google. Can't upload a photo but the front panel is as follows;

2 jacks, input 1 , input 2,

Volume knobs, volume1 ,volume2,

Equalisation knobs , low, middle1, middle2, high,

then 3 jacks, external speaker, headphones, line output.

The jack saying external speaker is the one I am querying.

Found images of your amp on Google, and as you say there is an external speaker jack on the front.

This will do one of two things - either enable another cab to be added as well as the internal speaker

in the combo (in which case will need to be at least 8 ohms?), OR enable another cab to be added whilst

cutting out the internal speaker completely. Without knowing the spec of the amp and what ohmage it

will work into it is dodgy trying another cab, especially if the former option is the case as it could do

some damage. Only thing that may be okay is turn the treble up a bit so you can hear some hiss, then

quickly insert and remove a jack plug into the socket - if the sound disappears as you do this you’ll 

know it disables the internal speaker.  

UK distributor for Stagg appears to be EMD Music in Surrey, tel. 01293 862612. Maybe worth a call to them

for spec details. Cheers.

• Like 2